• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone Finder App for S3?

artbytes

Android Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2011
I've been testing a few phone finder type apps on my S3, but can't find anything that works. If you text certain words, they are supposed to either start the phone ringing or send you back the phone's GPS location. I've tried "Find My Phone" and "Where's My Droid." Neither works with text messages sent from Google talk or from another cellular phone. "Where's My Droid" has a web site with a "Commander" function that lets you communicate with your phone. That is a bit slow, but it does work. It will make the phone ring and will bring up its location on Google Maps.

Does anyone have a solution for making these apps work with texting, or have you tried other apps that work on the S3?

I'm using an ATT S3 phone. Thanks.

I used Lookout on my old HTC DHD which work quite well. But have you tried Samsung Dive

Thanks. I didn't know about Samsung Dive. I looked it up and went to the Website. It said how to set it up. I added a Samsung account, and then went to Settings -> Security. I'm supposed to have some entries there under "Find My Mobile." I don't have the "Find My Mobile" section on my phone. Therefore, I can't get it to work.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab that in unbranded WiFi only. It just got ICS, so it has the same OS as my phone. It has the proper entries under Security, and Dive works well with it.

I wish I knew what the problem with my phone is. My son has an ATT Samsung Skyrocket with ICS, and the Find My Phone app works for him. I'll try a few of the other apps suggested here.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I didn't know about Samsung Dive. I looked it up and went to the Website. It said how to set it up. I added a Samsung account, and then went to Settings -> Security. I'm supposed to have some entries there under "Find My Mobile." I don't have the "Find My Mobile" section on my phone. Therefore, I can't get it to work.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab that in unbranded WiFi only. It just got ICS, so it has the same OS as my phone. It has the proper entries under Security, and Dive works well with it.

I wish I knew what the problem with my phone is. My son has an ATT Samsung Skyrocket with ICS, and the Find My Phone app works for him. I'll try a few of the other apps suggested here.

To be more explicit, at&t removed dive from their sgs3. Its all in the other thread that this is a duplicate of. Mobile so I can't easily search it out

Upvote 0
To be more explicit, at&t removed dive from their sgs3. Its all in the other thread that this is a duplicate of. Mobile so I can't easily search it out

Thanks. I found that thread: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/573288-cannot-find-find-my-mobile.html

At least I know not to spend any more time looking for "Find My Mobile."

I tried an app that was recommended in that thread, "SeekDroid". The Web commands work really well. However, the SMS messages don't do a thing - just like for the other apps I've tried so far. I was reading in their help section, and I think I've seen the same thing said in the help section of another similar app. They said that 3rd party SMS apps might interfere with the SMS functions of the finder apps. ATT did install it's own messages app on the ATT version of the S3. I'm beginning to wonder if that's the problem.

If anyone else has an ATT S3 with the "Messages" app installed, let me know if you have similar problems.

I tried disabling the Messages app, it didn't help. However, when I went back to look again, it looked to me as though the app was still enabled. Maybe I can't turn it off. I don't think that I can leave it off all of the time, anyway. As far as I know, it's the only way for me to receive my visual voicemail, (which now is included in my plan for no extra charge.)

Upvote 0
Also check out Android Lost Android Lost.

Lost of features including located phone etc.

Try out the feature that allows you to send a voice message to the phone. Then I suggest placing the phone near your loved ones and the sending a message such as 'Help I'm a prisoner in a phone' from a computer in another room. ;->

+1 for AndroidLost. Seems to work and it's free. I've heard good things about Avast but I don't really care to have a full virus scanner running all the time too.

AndroidLost has lots of cool tricks like taking pictures from the front phone to give you a picture of your thief, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones