• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

phone, firmware changing?

Elwood42

Jul 20, 2010
I'm told changing the firmware on your phone removes stuff like network bloatware, or does it enable you to update to the lastest phone software? Is it hard to do, and if I do it will it void my phone warranty with the company I got it from?

I.e, if the phone has a minor fault and I want to take it back to get it exchanged, will the service provider who gave me the phone tell me no, because it's been changed?

Basicallly what you are doing is changing the ROM to a generic version that comes directly from HTC and does not include any of the crap that most network providers put on there phones.

Yes it is a little bit complicated but is easy enough to do if you follow the steps exactly.

Not too sure about voiding the warranty but i suppose if it came down to it you could just put the original ROM back on the phone before returning it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones