• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone Freezes when Copying files

Klayan

Lurker
Jul 28, 2011
Anyone have any clue why my phone often freezes when I am copying files? I am running the latest toasted deck CM10 tho this has happened with older versions of CM10 as well. The copy will hang and my phone is completely frozen and I have to do the simulated battery pull and reboot to get it to work again.

I sometimes copy large files in internal memory, such as nands, with Root Explorer, and then paste them to my sd card.

It takes a while to perform the operation and so I am patient with it. i haven't tried to do anything with the phone in the meantime, I don't know if it would respond in such a case as it would be sort of busy.

Is that what is happening with you?

Upvote 0
I am copying audiofiles from my pc to the built in storage since that is what mounts in CM10. The copy starts going at about 2.5 Mb/sec (Ugh so slow) then sometimes (often, but not every time) it completly stops at 0kb/sec and stays there (I've left it overnite.) When I goto the phone whatever screen was up is frozen (Usually the black screen cause the screen turned off, but if it happened befor the screen turned off then whatever was on the screen.) The phone will not respond to anything at all and I have to Hold the power button for about 15-30 seconds so it turns off. I should probably just completly wipe the phone and try the stock rom again to see if it is some type of hardware problem, but I would really like to avoid that if possible.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
I'm not really big on the AOSP roms, so I'm not 100% sure. I think there were some issues with accessing the storage on CM10 early on in development, but I'm not % sure.

I'd suggest breaking the number of files you transfer at one time down, might be trying to force 10lbs of stuff into a 5lb bag too fast and it breaks it.

Also I like your suggestion of flashing back to a stock or sense based rom to check to see if it's just CM10. Make a nandroid backup and flash a sense rom, try it again. Post back what happens. :)

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
I'm running Pac man which is AOSP and I have no trouble what so ever with the phone freezing when copying files. I have copied several ROMS over to the internal storage drive (ISD) most sense ROMS run about 600 megs or so. I have had no trouble accessing and coping these files to ISD. I would try to do a fresh install of another AOSP ROM and see if the issue comes up again. If it does you could have a problem with your ISD.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones