1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone freezing

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Brittany Peagler, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Brittany Peagler

My Android ZTE keeps freezing and running really slow and I don't have a lot of apps downloaded either I have tried updating software etc. Is there other reasoning of why my phone could constantly do this

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Kibaikasu

Kibaikasu Member

Device freezing happens for a variety of reasons. The most common ones are as follows:

- Low memory: your smartphone is, in fact, a mobile PC. Just like a regular desktop/laptop, it uses an operating system to function and it has physical memory (i.e. - a "hard drive") to store that OS and anything else you might download, be it photos, videos, apps, etc. Once your device hits 10% or lower of available space, the device will start to lag, run sluggish, freeze, and even power-cycle on its own. To verify how much available memory you have, go to Settings -> Storage (Memory if you're running Marshmallow) and you will find a breakdown of your total memory.

- Malware: it is entirely possible that you might have downloaded something that is affecting your device from behind the scenes. Restarting your device in safe mode is the best way of telling if it's something that was downloaded at one point. If the device works as normal in safe mode, then it's a malignant app that was downloaded at some point in time, and the issue will persist until the app has been uninstalled.

- Incomplete/Interrupted OS Update: this is common when you download an Android OS via OTA and your wi-fi signal is either weak, slow, or unstable. In this case, nothing short of a master reset will solve the issue.

Hope this information is helpful, and let us know if you're able to find the cause of your device freezing. :)

3. androidmachine

androidmachine Android Enthusiast

You wouldn't happen to have Clean Master or any other apps from Cheetah Mobil or DU would you? If so uninstall them and see if your phone doesn't run better.

tube517 likes this.