1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Phone getting warm on heavy use

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andrews317, Jan 15, 2013.

1. andrews317

andrews317 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Honduras
    Last night I was playing Eternity Warriors 2. After a while (about 30 mins) I got bored and decided to play Ashpalt 7. Suddenly the game just closed without showing any errors like force close or something else. At that moment I noticed my hand was a little warm, so I removed the case and found out that the back of my N4 was very hot. I must mention also that while playing this heavy games the phone was plugged to original wall charged.

Should I stop playing while charging? Should I stop playing to much time? Did the game closed because of the high temperature on the processor?

Advertisement

2. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    The phone has a built in safe guard. After it reaches a certain temperature it starts to throttle the CPU and GPU. If the phone continues to get hotter the GPU/CPU will get throttled more. If the phone still continues to get hotter it will shut down.
    Most people will see throttling while gaming. I think it would be quite rare that the phone would shut down. I have read that excessive use while the phone is hot will reduce the lifespan of your battery.
    It maybe useful to check your cpu temp with an app from the market see how hot your device actually gets.

3. andrews317

andrews317 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Honduras
    Thanks for the advice. I'll look for any useful app. My phone didn't shut down, it just closed my app without saying anything. I will test doing the same thing while not charging.

4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Charging should not matter. The phone probably got a little hot and unstable because of being in a case. Or maybe the game just crashed and it had nothing to do with the phone.

Try without the case.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0

Tags: