• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone goes crazy when hooked up to charger

Chuck1906

Android Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2009
Have you ever tried to text someone or type an email while your phone is connected to a wall charger? The most annoying thing happens when I do it. If I press a letter and doesn't matter which one, I will get a whole slew of letters filling my screen. Sometimes its the same letter or a combination of several different letters. I now have to disconnect the charger when i want to type because its annoying. This, I might add has to do with the ON SCREEN keyboard and not the slide up. I do not notice this issue when the phone is connected to my car charger though.

Is this the charger that came with the phone or one you bought separately from another source?

I ask because I bought a charger (almost a year ago now) from monoprice which ended up having very similar problems but only while plugged in. After some research I believe I have a good idea of the answer. I am not extremely knowledgeable about the correct terms but it was my laymans understanding that the charger was "leaking" AC (alternating current) into the phone which was the cause of the "freakishness" while plugged in. Of course, the little black box thingy is supposed to convert the electricity from AC to DC and your charger may not be doing this correctly.

I just returned to using the stock charger and haven't had a problem since.

Maybe look into replacing the charger.

Upvote 0
Its a charger that was made for my phone and I did buy it from the Verizon store. I like it because the usb cord is way longer than the little short one that comes with the phone but you all right, it could be something wrong with it and might need to be replaced. Have any of you heard of the iGo battery to charge up the phone?

Upvote 0
Its a charger that was made for my phone and I did buy it from the Verizon store. I like it because the usb cord is way longer than the little short one that comes with the phone but you all right, it could be something wrong with it and might need to be replaced. Have any of you heard of the iGo battery to charge up the phone?

I would try plugging the phone in using the charger that came with the phone, and see if it does the same thing. Even though "it was made for your phone" per Verizon, doesn't necessarily mean it correct. Chances are you got a generic one that fits the micro (or is is mini?) USB.

If the stock charger doesn't produce the same issues, I'd send the charger back to Verizon.

Upvote 0
Check the output amperage rating on the charger. (it'll usually be listed in milliAmps (mA)). The Droid needs more than 500mA in order to operate correctly while plugged in. The OEM charger puts out 750 mA.

@carassius, You need to make sure you check the specs on Monoprice's web site before ordering and make sure that the charger outputs either 1A or 1000mA. They have both 500mA and 1000mA chargers on Monoprice, so if you selected the wrong one, you will get that flaky behavior with the touch screen.

To reiterate, you need at least 750mA output, if you can't find a 750mA charger, go bigger, like 1000mA (1A).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones