• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone hacked? Photo appears in Downloads and Message Contents Share that I did not take.

Sklaw

Lurker
May 14, 2016
Today I was sending photos to a friend and after the last photo I sent I scrolled up and saw what looked like me sending a photo that I did not take to this friend. She never received it but it randomly appeared in my Downloads folder and my Message Shared Folder. The picture looks like a picture taken from a second story window of a cross street behind a fenced in parking lot with cars parked on the street. There is no one and no street signs visible in the photo.
The file name is this:
vmatxsloak_2097924717591-1-20160209_115505.jpeg
There is no location in the file information but it vaguely looks like the area I live based on the streets and architecture. It says the photo was taken today but it could not have been and there is snow on the ground in the picture but no snow this time of year.

So I finally got my account verified (Thank you @Phases )
No, I did not take this photo. Not even by accident. It appeared at a random point in the conversation.
After this happened my Gmail account has been acting funny, not receiving emails it should, etc.
About a few hours after this problem occurred I opened my Mac book Pro and went to YouTube to listen to some music and a Mal ware scam page popped up! We called the number and a woman with an Indian accent said she was from Microsoft support and we would need to pay money to get help. Sounds like ransom ware to me.
I am going to attach the photo here..
vmatxsloak_2097924717591-1-20160209_115505.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Yeah, very odd indeed!

I'm not sure that your two problems are related, but:

1. Change your Gmail password(s) as soon as possible, just to be safe/sure...

2. The stuff you're seeing on your PC does indeed seem to be malware and a phishing scam--do NOT allow someone remote to access your system and/or pay them to do so--("it's a trap!" -- Admiral Ackbar)

Upvote 0
And here is a photo of my macbook screen

OK, "Windows Defender Error Code".... That is the OS X version of Google Chrome you're running there, and NOT Windows? Plus the fact it's apparently coming from some likely compromised website somewhere, "cdn77.org".....definitely bogus.

And even if you was running Windows, genuine Windows Defender messages do not appear from whatever websites in a browser, they show in Windows Defender itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree the popup is an obvious scam. And good call to change your gmail password.

Just trying to clarify a few facts:

The file name is this:
vmatxsloak_2097924717591-1-20160209_115505.jpeg
There is no location in the file information but it vaguely looks like the area I live based on the streets and architecture. It says the photo was taken today but it could not have been and there is snow on the ground in the picture but no snow this time of year.
To me the date suggests either Feb 09 or Sep 02 depending on how you have your dates set up. Just pointing it out in case that fact makes a difference to you.

Also you were "sending pics" on your phone and this showed up and it showed up in your download and messages sent folder. I can't figure from the context which app you were sending pic in. Gmail? Messaging? Hangouts? If a google related account then maybe we conclude you have done enough to address the concern by changing your gmail unless something else odd shows up. If other messaging then I'm not so sure.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
So I was using the Messenger App on my Samsung S7. Just the default messenger program.
I know that a few minutes ago I took this photograph in my living room. After I sent it she replied (all at 12:31). And when I scrolled back up this MMS shows as me having sent both photos to her in the same one message.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160515-135632.jpg
    Screenshot_20160515-135632.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 210
Upvote 0
OK so now I am getting annoyed... I was just now texting a different friend to go outside and look for a certain plant. I go ogled it to send her a picture and I downloaded the picture of plantain. When I sent her an MMS of that picture in the Messenger App right before it went through another of my photos showed up. It is me holding a cup of tea with my child lying on the floor. This photo is at least 6 months old if not more, and I don't even have it on this (new) phone so I could not have accessed it to send to her.
Here is the screenshot...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160515-143523.jpg
    Screenshot_20160515-143523.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 348
Upvote 0
you need to get into you gmail account and very meticulously check each and every entry possible.
tighten up the security on it for one thing. and change the password to something hard to guess.

and, you need to stop clicking on a Google Image and sending that along in your SMS messages, that is a darn good way to catch spamware.

If you feel the need to copy that image, you do it with a Screen Capture on your PC, or a Screenshot on your phone. You do NOT attach it to a message ever....

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
OP, this is just toooo weird not to mention just down right scary :eek: I'll be watching to see what the culprit is.
AZ...THERE you are! Where have you been? I don't see you on the "other" Andriod forum anymore. I'm guessing you upgraded to the S7. Do you love it? Have you stripped it of all it's powers so you can get 90 days on one battery charge? <g>
Monica

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones