• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone has unexplained crashes

I have had my phone for a year and a half now with no issues. I bought it brand new and have kept care of it since. Then yesterday sometime between leaving an event and driving home my phone started lagging. I had been using it all day with no noticeable problems. When I got home I tried to open YouTube and it crashed so I closed and opened it. I did this two more times before attempting to restart my phone. I held the power key down and felt the phone vibrate, but I wasn't prompted either the power off or the restart buttons. Then the screen went off after lagging a bit. When trying to remedy this the phone wouldn't turn on for a minute, the phone vibrated everytime I tried using the fingerprint scanner, as if it recognized it and unlocked, but the screen didn't come on for a while. Then when it did turn on it required me to put in my pin and read "pin required after restarting your device". So I did then this whole process repeated 2 more times, and when it didn't turn itself off most apps crashed and Google wouldn't work either through wifi or data. I plugged my phone in to charge and it worked. I went to sleep with no answers. Next day (today) I woke up to a charged phone that has buzzard problems. My alarm went off with no sound and the clock app crashed. I played music and it came through the phone speakers at full volume and it wouldn't turn down. This happened also when I put earphones in with the phones boxed-in dongle, and when I tried a Bluetooth speaker that I use often. The phone kept playing music full volume through the phone speakers. As I'm rushing to get ready for work I tried a couple more things. Again Google won't work - the pages never loaded, yet Firefox works which is how I am here now. I haven't tried Chrome though, and the Google I tried was just the google widget/app thing I'm guessing. I successfully downloaded an internet security app and avast antivirus software with no problems, and they didn't turn up anything. The one thing that I haven't been able to find out is an unknown notification icon in the status bar. It is a rectangle vertical, with a angled cut in the top right corner making it look like a paper with a fold in it (or even sort of like the SIM icon), but it has an exclamation point in it. And I didn't notice it until I had the crashes started yesterday. I tried a search of what it meant since I have no notification prompt of if and didn't find anything yet. I wish I had more time to research answers but I am at work. As I'm writing this now the phone has not lagged, crashed, etc., but I'm still finding weird problems as I go like no being able to swipe through photos in my gallery? And now Gmail app doesn't work. I'm going to go to a mobile place and ask about it later today, and I hope I have given enough info about my problem here too, but I haven't seen anything like this before on any android I've had

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones