• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone Insurance

Markiuk

Lurker
Jun 23, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm in a position where I lost my phone in manchester a couple of weeks back and because of my phone insurance policy, put a claim through within 24 hours. In the mean time someone has mailed my lost phone back to me. The phone is damaged but still usable but I've already called orange to block the imei number. I'm wondering what happens in this scenario where I've got two phones and want to be able to use both of them. What would happen if I ring orange to unblock the phone? Will I have to return one of my phones now that the claim has gone through? Or am I free to do as I please with either device?

Thanks guys!

Is your insurance through Orange? It's probably best to give them, or your insurance provider a call to see what they want to do. They'd probably want you to send the broken phone back to them so they can unblock, fix and use it as a refurbished replacement.

Legally, I'm almost certain you can't keep/use the phone as it would be a form of insurance fraud (although totally not your fault).

Reactions: ocnbrze and LilBit
Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I'm in a position where I lost my phone in manchester a couple of weeks back and because of my phone insurance policy, put a claim through within 24 hours. In the mean time someone has mailed my lost phone back to me. The phone is damaged but still usable but I've already called orange to block the imei number. I'm wondering what happens in this scenario where I've got two phones and want to be able to use both of them. What would happen if I ring orange to unblock the phone? Will I have to return one of my phones now that the claim has gone through? Or am I free to do as I please with either device?

Thanks guys!

The proper thing to do is as the others mentioned, call the insurance company and they will tell you what to do, they might allow you to keep it and use it on WiFi only, or as EP mentioned they may tell you to send it back to them, in where they will refurbish is a resell the device. They will definitely not unlock for your use. Bottom line it belongs to them once you filed a claim, and not reporting it is unethical and improper. Here's to hoping you will do the right thing, cheers ;)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones