1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phone is glitchy/slow for weeks, freezes, force closing, etc.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by izziebot, May 18, 2011.

1. izziebot

izziebot Lurker
    None

May 18, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    new york
    Hey all,
    Before I popped into IRC with all my QQ, I wanted to ask if anybody else has been experiencing general system failure lately on their Ally. I scanned the topics here and didn't really see much on, so I suppose it might just be me.

So the low-down on what's been up. The phone has been incredibly slow with loading pretty much everything, including basic things like text messaging or my alarm. More often than not I end up with freezes and having to force close. In some extreme cases (sadly, at least once a week) I have to resort to popping out my battery cause even the power-down won't work.

I'm having trouble with apps, too. TweetDeck, for instance, has a bad habit of starting up on it's own when I tell it not to. I will quit / exit out / force close the program but sure enough I end up with updates on my bar within minutes. Uninstall / reinstall has not fixed this.
    I installed / uninstalled skype but the program apparently isn't gone from my phone and is constantly running. I have terrible battery life as is. Etc.
    It's been trying to update the OS for a few days now, every time it tries to reboot, nothing happens and the process starts all over again.

I consider myself generally tech-savvy but I admit I might as well be a 57 year old housewife when it comes to smartphones and such. I just got this thing in dec, first smartphone ever. Fully newb.

I have no problem if I have to do a complete system re-boot / re-install or going to the store to get them to fix it up.
    I just wanted to see what you guys thought / suggest before I seppuku my phone.

Thanks in advance
    ~iz

Advertisement

2. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Android Expert
    None

Nov 3, 2010
    Chandler, Az
    Well honestly i dont think there is anything "wrong" with the phone. Those apps will start themselves up regardless and if they dont have an option within them to quite them/stop automatically starting up then you may just need to remove them or accept that they will always run.

The ally is low powered and short on memory so where most other android phones could keep on chuggin the ally will get gunked up and slowed down. I mean it had 1/5 the memory or the new phones and half the computing power. Theres not a whole lot you can do about it. Figure out what apps and such are running in the background and see if you can find whats eating up resources.

It very well just may be youve got too much goin on for the phone. If you are not tech-challenged you can root it and in my opinion double the phones capabilites but is not without its risks. You can try a reset in the privacy area of settings or power down and hold end+home+voldown. But if you just reinstall the same apps id bet youre going to have the same problems. As far as the update goes you may need to down load the upgrade utility app for ally from the market for it to complete

3. izziebot

izziebot Lurker
    None

May 18, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    new york
    Hmm.
    Well I figure that might be one of the issues, but I honestly don't have that many apps (maybe 7?) that didn't originally come with the phone. Not that I don't believe you, I know the Ally is on the low-end of the scale for droids.

I find it hard to believe it's the apps bogging down my phone. The only one I have running a lot (by choice) is tweet-deck and my fitness app.
    The freezing / force closing feels like it might be a different issue, especially since it's bugging out basic functions that aren't related to apps at all.

Or is the ally just that bad...?

4. dautley

dautley Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Dickson, TN.
    izziebot Are you on Froyo 2.2.2? it helps to know what version of Android you use, how your phones set up and what kind of errors you get when you post. Usually a factory reset will take of the type of situation your describing but if your rooted and running alot of stuff from your sd card that could be causing problems to.

5. izziebot

izziebot Lurker
    None

May 18, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    new york
    I'm not rooted, just using vanilla Droid 2.2.1
    I'm ok with a factory reset, I guess. Just not sure how to do that.

The errors are basically black-screen and freezing, and having to force-close pretty much all functions, including texting and phone calls, at times. On top of it being horribly slow.

6. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Android Expert
    None

Nov 3, 2010
    Chandler, Az
    Do you have a bunch of sms messages?? Ive noticed once i get so many itll get bogged down but thats only within the sms app itself. You can go to settings>privacy>factory reset or power down and hold end+home+voldown. I DONT know if there is a difference between the 2 methods.

7. remicks

remicks Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    Security Officer
    USA
    Seems to me it just might be your phone, I have a rooted Ally running Velocity 1.1 with well over 100 apps & games installed and my phone is nice and quick.

8. death2all110

death2all110 Android Expert
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Systems Administrator Windows/Unix
    Illinois, US
    Izziebot did you download Upgrade Utility For LG Ally, and then try installing the OTA update?

9. AssertiveBard

AssertiveBard Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 25, 2010
    Dayton, TN
    In all honesty all the problems you listed are common with an Ally user that fully uses thier phone. The issues can be boiled down to a cheap under powered device.

10. WhyMyAlly

WhyMyAlly Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    The constant slowdowns and fcs are usually due to the phone running out of program memory. Try checking settings applications and choose running applications and see what's running a. Although you can close apps in there but be careful as it could cause other things to stop working and also some apps will restart again. Like everyone else is saying its the slowest of all current droids. Actually rooting and flashing velocity 1.1 will actually give you more room for your apps and not verizons bloatware. Also I would stay away from the 2.2.2 update. It only fixes some issues that may not pertain to you and it may even slow down the phoone more but that's imho

11. izziebot

izziebot Lurker
    None

May 18, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    new york
    Thanks for all the advice.

I deleted a few apps, cleaned up my saved data, cleared out my texts. It's working a little better.

I'm still having a few issues with having to force-close, though, so i'm going to give it another week and do a reset if it continues.

This was all sound advice, though, I appreciate the help from everybody.

Thank you <3

(Long story short, I am going to save up for a better droid XD)

12. netizenmt

netizenmt Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 3, 2010
    Technical Support
    Mansfield, OH
    My phone acted just like that when i first got it back in July. I ALMOST sent it back to Verizon. My advice? Root and put Velocity 1.1 on your Ally. It won't turn it into a Thunderbolt, but it will make it a heck of a lot more stable and useful. Best decision I ever made and I'm perfectly fine with using it for at least the 2 year period before i upgrade.

Tags: