• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone is horrible and unusable ater JB

No ... it would leave you on Jelly Bean.

What a Factory Data Reset does is to delete all applications, all data. and in turn all customizations. It would be in the same state as getting a Bionic today from the Factory with Jelly Bean pre-installed.

It is an unfortunate reality that almost everyone needs to do a Factory Data Reset after a major system upgrade (Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich or Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean).

You will lose ALL DATA so don' enter into this lightly.

I have done a Factory Data Reset four times now (two for upgrades and two for testing) and it gets easier each time you do it.

... Thom

Upvote 0
My Bionic has been getting relentlessly slower too, to the point that it's really getting aggravating. My wife's iPhone seems as speedy as the day she got it, FWIW.

I did a full reset after the Jelly Bean update and it seemed to be reasonably snappy after that. Now its just seems mired in digital sludge when trying to do anything. I regularly kill open apps (ZD App Killer, though most, zombie like, quickly rise from the dead), and that gives some mild, temporary benefit.

Is this just some inexorable thing we need to get used to, so many apps, services and whatnot getting jammed on our phones that even with speedy new processors, they soon get overwhelmed and bogged down? Is there some way to more effectively manage what services, accesses and whatnot are going on (beyond basic settings and, say, ZD App Killer)? Or am I missing something basic I need to be aware of/doing (school me here then)?

Part of your phone running slower is the amount of bloat the carrier puts on and some is due to apps using more ram and processor's speed to run. The apps want to work to the top end of technology but the older phones can't keep up. It cloud also be one specific app doing it. You could try and do a FDR but then only add the apps you need one at a time to see which one is suck he speed out of your Bionic.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
Part of your phone running slower is the amount of bloat the carrier puts on and some is due to apps using more ram and processor's speed to run. The apps want to work to the top end of technology but the older phones can't keep up. It cloud also be one specific app doing it. You could try and do a FDR but then only add the apps you need one at a time to see which one is suck he speed out of your Bionic.

Is there any other ways (apps) to try to identify the system resource hogs rather than going the tedious route of full app-ectomy? Are there any notorious apps for hoggin resources?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones