• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone is not nearly loud enough! Anyone else?

aci78

Jun 29, 2010
Seattle- ish
I bought this phone with one of the major selling points being the HD audio, thinking the massive amounts of music I play through my phone would sound good. Well, it sounds fine, but it has to be the quiestest external speaker of any phone I've owned, and the sound thru a headset isnt much better, either. Anyone else notice this?

Maybe when they unlock the boot loader, we will get the code to adjust the audio volume to a respectable level. I know it's possible, the ringer and other audible tones get very loud.

I bought this phone with one of the major selling points being the HD audio, thinking the massive amounts of music I play through my phone would sound good. Well, it sounds fine, but it has to be the quiestest external speaker of any phone I've owned, and the sound thru a headset isnt much better, either. Anyone else notice this?

Maybe when they unlock the boot loader, we will get the code to adjust the audio volume to a respectable level. I know it's possible, the ringer and other audible tones get very loud.

Totally agree. Once I downloaded volume+ from market this was no longer an issue for me though.:cool:

Upvote 0
just as ickster mentioned, download volume + from the market. do a search on volume + here on the forums as well so you can find the proper settings within the app so you dont get distortion or damage your speaker.....
I would like to mention that I personally get great sound with both headsets ive tried, my skullcandy earbuds & my motorola s9 BT headset, both sound great & are very loud. Id say overall (at full volume) it may not be as loud as some of my previous phones but still too loud for me to have at full volume...
last note, a friend of mine at work just got the Sensation & all his sounds are more quiet than mine, especially his speakerphone volume. Mine isnt very loud by any means but we both noticed that in call & speakerphone on my Sensation was much better than his. Im guessing there may be more to it than just "low volume" speakers, some phones could have other issues!

Upvote 0
sorry, hadnt popped in this thread for a bit, search for volume+ (sound boost), will cost $1.60 in the market (support the dev for looking out)....I found the app a while back at another forum & a member there came up with some perfect settings that worked great....messing w/ the settings on your own could get a bit crazy (cause distortion/possibly blow the factory speaker)....ill look those up for you....

Upvote 0
Want to start by giving credit to MattMJB0188 over at androidcentral.....
heres the settings to use for best quality with volume+ :

Speaker Settings

Speaker Modifications ENABLED
VR Effects ENABLED
Virtual Room Effect ENABLED

Basic Settings

EQ Settings GOOD QUALITY
Volume Level +8
Bass Enhance +1
Virtual Room 0

Speaker Modifications ENABLED

Band 1 16,5
Band 2 16,5
Band 3 16 7
Band 4 16,8
Band 5 16,9
Volume Level 10
Bass Level 1
VR Level 1

Reactions: johnblaz2000
Upvote 0
aci78, I do agree. My 1st Sensation was very quiet, wich is what led me to the research of volume+....this along with a few other problems led me to return the phone for a replacement. My more recent Sensation (july 17th) does not have as bad of a sound problem (currently do not use volume+) and also does not have the problems I had previously. Its more quiet than other phones I have had but is very "doable", speakers is louder in every way than my previous Sensation (shows theres more to it than speaker alone, BUT this can very depending on what phone you came from!!)...Just as the 1st of any new style phone (D.C. processor w/ sense 3.0 in our case) there are going to be problems that most of the time get fixed in near future updates. Im one of the guys who jumps on new phones right off the bat and rolls w/ the punches, just my thing I guess, lol....

Upvote 0
If it's just the ringer volume, try the free version. If you like to tweak bass, treble, highs, lows, etc- volume plus is well worth it in my opinion.

One thing I read when I went to do the update was that they recommend Cyanogen 7 to best utilize this app. Unfortunetly, not an option for our phone until it's unlocked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones