1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone is shot, need calendar

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Android Question

I thought I had been consistently backing up my phone data onto my gmail account. I also use lookout.com to back my phone up. My phone had sudden death syndrome and all of a sudden will not start.

My new phone is on backorder and I won't have it for 2-3 weeks. I'm lost without my calendar. I remember going into the phone prior and anywhere I had the option to backup, I did it. However, now when I go to my gmail calendar, it shows my calendar through October but then stops.

Is there any way my data might be backed up onto my microSD card and if so, what file would I look under?

Any other way to extract the data from the phone without it being powered up, i.e. plugging it into the computer and extracting like an external hard drive???

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Sorry to hear this. I can only guess that you accidentally turned calendar sync off in October. I don't suppose Lookout.com give you any way to access the data without the phone?

If this "sudden death syndrome" is the Galaxy S3 problem (you don't say that phone you have) then the phone is dead, pure and simple. In any event, there's no way of extracting data from the internal storage without powering the phone on. External hard drives draw power through the USB cable, and are designed to work that way. Phones don't and aren't - all the USB can do is charge the battery (the phone itself always runs off the battery, even if you are charging), and you need software running on the phone to access the storage. So if you can't boot it up, the internal storage is inaccessible.

Unfortunately the data will not be backed up onto the SD card unless you have been using some backup app. By default they live in a database file in a part of the phone's internal storage that isn't visible to the unrooted user. So unless you've been running some backup app or exported them from the calendar they won't be on SD.

Sorry, but I can't think of a loophole for this one.

scary alien likes this.