1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Phone is unusable. Need help ASAP.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pabben, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Pabben

Pabben Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2013
    So it all started a while ago when I turned off my phone. When I turned it back on, my Micro SD Card was suddenly reformatted. I don

Advertisement

2. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    What happens if you remove the Micro SD card and then install an app? It sounds like the card is corrupt and is confusing the OS.

funkylogik likes this.
  3. Ssith

Ssith Android Enthusiast
    None

May 28, 2011
    as divinebovine said, bad SD card, or possibly bad internal storage. if it's the SD card, easy peasy; if it's the storage, it's new phone time.

usually, however, when SD cards start going bad, they'll pop into read-only mode as an indicator, allowing you to at least retrieve the information.

funkylogik likes this.
  4. Pabben

Pabben Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2013
    I've tried the phone without an sd card but still no luck

5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Think you should reflash the firmware. Thats all thats really left to try after a factory reset :thumbup:

6. Pabben

Pabben Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2013
    How exactly do I do this?

7. Pabben

Pabben Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2013
  8. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    How technically proficient are you? How technically proficient do you want to be?

You said somebody mentioned replacing the ROM, and I believe that's what funnylogik was talking about with the firmware. It means replacing the complete operating system. A summary of how it's done is as follows:

1. Locate a ROM that somebody made for your phone. They are made by hobbyists, not companies, and posted to forums like this or XDA-Developers. I searched for your phone and found this but you'll need to investigate the details.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=41729090

2. Root your phone. You can learn all about rooting on this site, XDA-Developers, or a million other places. You'll need instructions specific to your phone.

3. Install a recovery or a ROM manager. Exactly what you need to use will depend on your phone and, again, will require research. Once that's done, you can use it to install a ROM.

Remember that doing this will wipe all data, configuration, and apps from your phone, so backup anything important first. You will also be running an unsupported operating system; it will likely be a modified version of the original one but your carrier may not want to help you with it. You will not have all of the protections of a locked-down unmodified system either; root access means that you or an app that you install can break everything without any nanny safeguard telling you that you're not allowed to do that. I'm not trying to scare you; I've never even heard of anybody having that sort of problem, but I guess the possibility is there. For all that, you get much more function and ability to do what you want, care for your OS how you want, back it up completely, etc...and hopefully you fix whatever went wrong in the first place.