• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone is Useless when the Phone Goes Silent Multiple Times a Week

I just reset my phone, waited a while and called it from a known number. It rang! Then, I opened gmail and called it, it didn't ring, and wouldn't after 5 or six calls. I reset the phone again and called it, it rang!!!. I opened gmail again and called it, it didn't ring...and won't ring, it may very well have to do with syncing/data download while receiving a call....

hmmmm.

I tried that and it didn't happen to me. (I didn't lose sound.)

Upvote 0
I hate to say this, but the conclusion was that google sync was not the cause of the audio loss. Part of the testing on XDA was to actually have someone factory reset and flash a 2.1 leak, then not log into his google account, so there was no way there could have been a google sync trying to happen. The audio problem was still present. This is a kernel side bug and will most likely persist untill the official update when HTC releases the source for 2.1.

This is a pretty consistent way to recreate the problem on the hero, maybe it will work for the eris too.

Avalaunch from the XDA-Developers forum has put in very much time on trying to fix this problem, apparantly so has cyanogen and a few other rom devs too. No one has figured it out.

The trigger that causes the issue is the audio drivers not restarting. when your phone sits in sleep after a while the drivers restart. which is why when you put it to sleep for 5-10 min. it will have the issue.

"i have found a pattern. before it wasnt 100% sure. but with the roms flashed and none of my fixes applied then if you play audio, let it be a ringtone or music, then let the phone sit in sleep for 5 -10 min. then it WILL occur. "

"from what i understand, the htcpowermanagement in the newer roms turn off everything besides tower polling after 5 min. including drivers unless their being used. we cant take that out so no ideas there."

Upvote 0
I hate to say this, but the conclusion was that google sync was not the cause of the audio loss. Part of the testing on XDA was to actually have someone factory reset and flash a 2.1 leak, then not log into his google account, so there was no way there could have been a google sync trying to happen. The audio problem was still present. This is a kernel side bug and will most likely persist untill the official update when HTC releases the source for 2.1.

This is a pretty consistent way to recreate the problem on the hero, maybe it will work for the eris too.

Avalaunch from the XDA-Developers forum has put in very much time on trying to fix this problem, apparantly so has cyanogen and a few other rom devs too. No one has figured it out.

The trigger that causes the issue is the audio drivers not restarting. when your phone sits in sleep after a while the drivers restart. which is why when you put it to sleep for 5-10 min. it will have the issue.

"i have found a pattern. before it wasnt 100% sure. but with the roms flashed and none of my fixes applied then if you play audio, let it be a ringtone or music, then let the phone sit in sleep for 5 -10 min. then it WILL occur. "

"from what i understand, the htcpowermanagement in the newer roms turn off everything besides tower polling after 5 min. including drivers unless their being used. we cant take that out so no ideas there."

Thank you Robchaos. We were just trying to look for anything that would trigger the problem on the Eris. (I don't use the music player, so obviously that's not the only way to trigger it either.) I haven't found a successful way to replicate the bug on demand on my phone.

As for solutions, it seems the only solid solution is to not use Android 2.1. Even with Avalaunchmod's fixes (which are for root only), he mentions that "some may encounter the issue on rare occurrence's [sic] such as after 50 hour up time or when using BT and it may randomly happen once a week or month." That's pretty much how mine is now, so it sounds like I wouldn't even benefit from the fix if I were able to install it.

Upvote 0
And seeing their apathy towards the N1's 3G issues, we're boned.

Well, that's why I was hoping to pinpoint what sequence or combination of events on each of our phones causes the bug to happen. If we could just figure out what we're doing that's triggering it, we could try to avoid doing it. For instance, Avalaunchmod thinks one of the triggers is when you reach 50 hours of uptime. I don't know if that's true, but if so, we could restart our phones every 48 hours, and then that particular trigger wouldn't happen. And he mentions that it happens sometimes when using Bluetooth, but maybe there's a way to connect and disconnect a headset without triggering it. If it happens to Farkmeil whenever Google syncs during a call, he could disable sync during phone calls or something.

Upvote 0
VZW just actually replaced my phone because of this issue. I had been rooted, tried various roms and all had the same issue. I downgraded and took it into the store. They called my phone like 10 or 15 times before they got it to not ring. The boy in the story said ok its defective, we'll send you a new one.

Got the new one, rooted it last night and so far ringtones and ringer are working

Reactions: thenestor
Upvote 0
i've had this issue on a three phones (i'm on my 5th eris), two of which only had 1.5. there is something really wrong with the software to allow this to happen so often. 2.1 seems to just make it much worse. some phones are not effected at all but too many are. hope they figure this crap out. major fault of the phone. that on top of the terribly slow and un-user-friendly dialer app makes the Eris one of the worst phone phones i've used. maybe they are actually trying to fix this which might explain why the official 2.1 is taking eons to be released.

Upvote 0
VZW just actually replaced my phone because of this issue. I had been rooted, tried various roms and all had the same issue. I downgraded and took it into the store. They called my phone like 10 or 15 times before they got it to not ring. The boy in the story said ok its defective, we'll send you a new one.

Got the new one, rooted it last night and so far ringtones and ringer are working

It's going to happen again if you use a 2.1 ROM.

Upvote 0
Just wondering how many here with the problem use Yahoo mail? My wife uses Yahoo as her main account and I do not have yahoo at all. She has the phone bug a lot and I have not had it. Same operating system and same apps beside that one thing.. This is from 2-28-10 when we got the phones and then upgraded to V2 of 2.1 leak.

Upvote 0
Just wondering how many here with the problem use Yahoo mail? My wife uses Yahoo as her main account and I do not have yahoo at all. She has the phone bug a lot and I have not had it. Same operating system and same apps beside that one thing.. This is from 2-28-10 when we got the phones and then upgraded to V2 of 2.1 leak.

No Yahoo here, and I've had the bug. I think we've ruled out the possibility of it being *caused* by an app, although there could be something different about the way each of you uses your phone that *triggers* it on her phone and not yours. For instance, she might use Bluetooth more often, make more phone calls, something like that.

Upvote 0
No Yahoo here, and I've had the bug. I think we've ruled out the possibility of it being *caused* by an app, although there could be something different about the way each of you uses your phone that *triggers* it on her phone and not yours. For instance, she might use Bluetooth more often, make more phone calls, something like that.

+1
I truly believe that it is something native with the phone/os and that the trigger, while maybe *visually* appearing different to all of us, is the same.

Not even sure I know what I just said, but I have no other way to say it that makes any more sense.

Upvote 0
+1
I truly believe that it is something native with the phone/os and that the trigger, while maybe *visually* appearing different to all of us, is the same.

Not even sure I know what I just said, but I have no other way to say it that makes any more sense.

agreed. i don't think there is any way for us to figure out what the issue it. i think only HTC can do that. and hopefully they will.

Upvote 0
could it be gmail for some crazy reason?

raise you hand if you have this issue and use gmail

(i dont have this issue, and i do not use gmail)

Someone on XDA had the issue without ever setting up a Google account on their phone. While it's possible that a Gmail notification (since it uses the sound driver) could trigger the issue, it doesn't seem like that's a requirement.

Upvote 0
I don't use gmail either but still have the bug. Not being able to figure out *why* is almost as frustrating as having the issue present itself. :thinking:

Right. I've tried the suggestion for replicating the bug from the Hero several times (play music, sleep, awake, pause music, sleep, wait ten minutes, call phone from another phone), but it doesn't trigger the bug on my Eris. I also can't get Gmail sync to trigger the bug, although I wouldn't rule it out. The only things I've noticed about my own experiences with the bug were:

a) I was often using Bluetooth or speaker for the call before the bug.

b) It tends to happen when I rapidly go from one call to another.

c) When the bug is in effect, the volume rocker attempts to control "media volume" instead of "ringer volume".

Upvote 0
Right. I've tried the suggestion for replicating the bug from the Hero several times (play music, sleep, awake, pause music, sleep, wait ten minutes, call phone from another phone), but it doesn't trigger the bug on my Eris. I also can't get Gmail sync to trigger the bug, although I wouldn't rule it out. The only things I've noticed about my own experiences with the bug were:

a) I was often using Bluetooth or speaker for the call before the bug.

b) It tends to happen when I rapidly go from one call to another.

c) When the bug is in effect, the volume rocker attempts to control "media volume" instead of "ringer volume".

Totally with you on B and C! Not a big bluetooth user (cannot find a headset I like). The common thread I keep seeing with this is definitely going from one call to another rapidly.

I think you are on to something!! I'm going to try and force it and get back to you...

EDIT: I cannot get it to show up! I've tried calling my phone, answering it, hanging up and immediately making a call - Calling my phone and not answering it so I get a missed call and then immediately trying a call - I also tried both scenarios from unknown numbers and I still cannot get it to happen...

The only thing I could get to happen was calling from an unknown number, "missing the call" and then calling the Eris again and it did not ring the second time but then immediately made a call from it and it worked...so no joy!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones