• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Keeps Factory Resetting Itself & Other Crazy Things

eclecticz

Lurker
Jul 4, 2015
First, I should say I have never rooted this phone. I am also not very Android tech savvy, just a little bit.

Yesterday my LG Optimus F3 phone from Virgin Mobile went crazy. It started by having several messages pop up saying unfortunately an app had to close (it did this with several apps). It then turned off and did a Factory Reset all on its own.

When it came back, despite having erased everything that was on my phone, it says I have almost no memory left. Which makes so I can't install almost any apps. Also, if I go to Settings and try to choose "Security" options then I get a message that says "Unfortunately Settings has closed" and it closes.

Now this is where I think it gets really weird. If I choose the "Power off and restart" option...it does a Factory Reset. Every time. I tried to put it into Safe Mode and that made it do a factory reset.
If the power on it goes off for any reason (like if I pull the battery) it does a factory reset. If I just turn it off, same thing.

And it just does Factory Resets repeatedly by itself. I woke up this morning to a loud voice from my phone telling me how to activate it because it had done a factory reset while I was sleeping. It has factory reset itself twice today since then. It's in the process of doing it again at this very moment.

Someone I know suggested I root the phone. I just wanted to post here before trying to do so.

Sounds like a bad charger or cable.

A phone will do anything it's programmed for to protect itself, including a spontaneous factory data reset while charging if it gets an overvoltage happening.

Factory data reset your phone by hand, the normal way, because right now you can't be sure what state it's in.

And try another cable and charger.

To save money while investigating, a pc usb port will charge your phone, although slower than the charger.

Upvote 0
It's not doing the factory reset while it is charging. It has never done any of the factory resets while plugged into the charger.

And I just realized that I left out when I try to do a factory reset the normal way, from the Settings area it won't work. Nothing happens. When it says something about if I do this it will erase everything I choose okay and nothing happens.

So yesterday I tried to do what I believe is called a hard reset? Pressing the volume keys and power button down and making it do a reset that way ... It didn't make a difference.

In the meantime, I will switch to charging it with a different cord via a usb port, just in case.

Upvote 0
Because I have been busy I haven't really tried anything yet. However it continued to do factory resets by itself. Since trying to power it off only caused it to do a factory reset I resorted to pulling the battery out completely until I could get back to it.

I started thinking though, because you said the charging cable could do this I started wondering if the battery went bad could it cause this weird behavior?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones