• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone keeps rebooting.

You can download a widget called Battery Solo and it will tell you the battery percent and temp. The temps on androids can get ridiculous. My OV has gotten to 105 but it didn't shut down. Actually the operating specs should be in the manual. I'll find out what the max temp is

Without case 89 - 100 degrees on average.
With case 120 - 135 degrees on average.

Just.. Woah... Quite a difference.

Upvote 0
Anyone experiencing re-booting issues have a loose-fitting battery?
I'm aware that this phone has been out for a long time as the EVO3D, & this probably isn't the cause,but,it's worth pulling the cover & taking a look,just to rule out the possibility.

Hopefully, & probably, HTC will be looking @ this & release a maintenance update in the near future.

Upvote 0
Got sick of these Rebooting issues... looked up all the possible fixes for the Evo 3D... inserted a little piece of a business card between the cover and battery... looked like there was a little wiggle room there. My phone was already rooted... so I Wiped Everything and flashed the JMZ ODEX rom in the rooting thread. Been using my phone for about 5 hours straight without any random reboots/FC/issues. I'll be travelling a bit tomorrow, so we'll see how it performs throughout the day <fingers crossed>. Maybe some of these phone have had a bad flash from the factory... Mine seems alot better after the Wipe/Reflash. Only time will tell... [mine rebooted over a half a dozen times in about 3 hours yesterday]. If my problems persist, I'll be exchanging at Radio Shack :)

Upvote 0
Got sick of these Rebooting issues... looked up all the possible fixes for the Evo 3D... inserted a little piece of a business card between the cover and battery... looked like there was a little wiggle room there. My phone was already rooted... so I Wiped Everything and flashed the JMZ ODEX rom in the rooting thread. Been using my phone for about 5 hours straight without any random reboots/FC/issues. I'll be travelling a bit tomorrow, so we'll see how it performs throughout the day &lt;fingers crossed&gt;. Maybe some of these phone have had a bad flash from the factory... Mine seems alot better after the Wipe/Reflash. Only time will tell... [mine rebooted over a half a dozen times in about 3 hours yesterday]. If my problems persist, I'll be exchanging at Radio Shack :)

Yeah, That's what I had been thinking too. I felt like it wasn't a hardware issue.

Keep us up to date. If this fixed your problem I may consider doing that too.

Mine hasn't really rebooted since I figured out the quirks but if new software can fix the quirks, I may just go for it like you did.

Upvote 0
Yeah, That's what I had been thinking too. I felt like it wasn't a hardware issue.

Keep us up to date. If this fixed your problem I may consider doing that too.

Mine hasn't really rebooted since I figured out the quirks but if new software can fix the quirks, I may just go for it like you did.

Today will be a good test for me... I have a concert to go to this evening, so I'll be travelling out of the area, and it's gonna be 85 degrees and the phone will be in and out of my pocket. So I can kinda eliminate the heat, signal, and sensitive button issue. I will also be trying the 4G for the first time today [cannot get at my house] If I can go without any random reboots today, I'll have a lot more confidence in this phone.

Reactions: septembersrain
Upvote 0
2 more pocket reboots... anybody have any ideas? This is offically getting old. anybody else still having this issue?

I'd try a hard reset first and just use the phone without any non-stock apps and see if it reboots. If it reboots, then its defective. If it doesn't, you have a bad app.

Anyways,
Today I was using my phone (with a case on) on the dash of my car as a GPS whilst being sunny outside (I bet a lot of you can tell where this is going). I had it charging as well because.. well everyone knows the screen on this thing takes up as much power as a friggin' TV. I was also streaming music to my car.

So. Charging + GPS + Streaming + Sunlight = Hawt hawt.

I noticed the LED notification light was alternating green and red LED's at a fast rate, and the phone was no longer taking a charge. I'm not stupid. My battery is sweating. But It didn't shut off. So I use my Battery Solo Widget to see the internal temp of my phone.
150 Degrees Fahrenheit. Holy crap. And it didn't shut off!

I don't know when the phone auto shuts off from heat but it must take A LOT of heat to shut this thing off. So I unplugged it, moved my dash mount right above the A/C so my little buddy could get cooled down and took off the case so it could feel the breeze between it's knees. It went back down to about 115 degrees. I plugged it back in, and away it went.

So, I don't think any of your guys' reboots are from heat.
I hope I didn't damage my new phone :afraid:

Upvote 0
Still getting the random reboots. I don't know if its a lose battery issue like some might suggest. The phone will occasionally just lock up where it will stay black and hitting the power button does nothing unless you physically remove it and put it back in. Think its more software related with it locking up.

Same here I am having the same issues. My phone reboots less now (the first day it rebooted like 15 times) but still about 4 to 5 times a day. I might just wait for the official virgin branded phones come out and exchange mine I have 30 days.

Upvote 0
I'm officially returning mine today... All local Radio Shacks now have stock. Hopefully the new one I get acts better than this on. I had about 2 dozen reboots yesterday, some requiring a battery pull. I couldn't get the phone to make calls, with FULL BARS showing. All in all, this specific phone has been a disaster. I will exchange it this afternoon for a new one, hopefully most of these issues as not present.

Upvote 0
It really feels like this is a signal bug. Like the alternating between 4G and 3G or the fluctuating bars.

Mine hasn't rebooted in about two days now. Think I've sort of got my problem isolated.

*Knocks on wood*

I've never actually seen my phone reboot without my prompting. It's interesting that you mention the 4G as I never have that radio turned on.

Upvote 0
Swapped mine out for a new one... Radio Shack just got this one in yesterday... Still Sprint branded. Hopefully, I will have less reboots with this one. If I have the same problems... may go back to my LG OV. The one I just got rid of, had to have some kind of hardware problem... I had it Factory Reset, with NO APPS installed, and it would still reboot like crazy. <fingers crossed>

Upvote 0
Swapped mine out for a new one... Radio Shack just got this one in yesterday... Still Sprint branded. Hopefully, I will have less reboots with this one. If I have the same problems... may go back to my LG OV. The one I just got rid of, had to have some kind of hardware problem... I had it Factory Reset, with NO APPS installed, and it would still reboot like crazy. <fingers crossed>
You had a bum model, don't give up, these are nice phones.

Upvote 0
You had a bum model, don't give up, these are nice phones.

The Evo V is a really nice piece of hardware... hopefully this one will work properly... you can always get a dud with any device. I did the online swap earlier today... charging my new phone now... will wait until my lil one goes to bed to activate and get it setup.

I can probably set it up without looking after Factory Resetting my last phone 3 times in 4 days. My last one was rooted. Any known ill effects of rooting this device? Was hoping that when I returned the first one that they didn't Power Vol- and see it was RELOCKED. Guy at Radio Shack TRIED to offer to do some updates and FIX my phone. I told him I did everything possible and wanted an exchange. Luckily, they said they've only gotten one so far, and it is now mine. My last resort yesterday was to RELOCK and run the RUU to take back to factory. [Still random reboots] I may wait a bit to see if my phone is functioning properly, before I unlock/root this one. :)

Upvote 0
Swapped mine out for a new one... Radio Shack just got this one in yesterday... Still Sprint branded. Hopefully, I will have less reboots with this one. If I have the same problems... may go back to my LG OV. The one I just got rid of, had to have some kind of hardware problem... I had it Factory Reset, with NO APPS installed, and it would still reboot like crazy. &lt;fingers crossed&gt;

I just returned my rebooting phone for another one at best buy.

I didn't root or ROM my first phone. It was not the power button, since once into the rebooting cycle it continued rebooting every few minutes after doing a factory reset and leaving the cover off.

That seems to rule out apps, and power button, and even the "too hot" theory. I did eventually try my new 3500 battery and back cover. I still had a reboot or two with the bigger not fully charged battery. That was the last straw.

So far so good with the new phone. I have put most of my apps on without waiting for any testing.

Upvote 0
I did a quick check on things and then rooted and rom'd. Runs fantastic.
I couldn't tell you how stable it was stock, but rooted/rom'd, it's great. Mine is on Harmonia 3.05 and is rock solid.

I'm wondering if putting a ROM on it would actually fix/minimize these little quirks.

I'm considering modifying it. I haven't yet because I'm on the fence about the reboot issue I'm having.

Upvote 0
That's so crazy! I was over here panicking and stuff over nothing!
I did the slide the finger thing over my power button... Guess I've got one of those super sensitive ones too.

HAHA! -_- Crap.
I think I might have to get one of those hard covers with the pre-cut sections out of them. I hate hard covers but it's better than NO cover right?

So... Does Best Buy install screen protectors?
I got mine expecting the button to be really sensitive but holy crap mine is hard to push. There's no way it's gonna be accidentally pushed. Hardware rev. 2 btw

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones