1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Phone line: are microfilters worth it

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mehta23, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert
    None

I've jut received my new Talk talk router kit and found that they've given me two micro filters which claim to 'reduce noise and improve service'
    Just wanna know if anyone's had experience with these kinds of filters and if they actually help. Otherwise I may just try and sell the router and/or parts.

Edit: I've realised that using this broadband might be useful for when Virgin throttle me to 1Mbps actually, even though it uses the phone line.

Advertisement

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    You shouldn't use an ADSL service without line filters on all in-use phone sockets connected to the phone line. Without them spurious line noise from the voice circuit will limit sync/connection rates and may even cause frequent disconnection whenever a call is answered.

mikedt likes this.
  3. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    As Slug says, if you don't have the filters your internet connection will be up and down like a .. (thinks hard for something polite) .. yoyo (phew!). Sometimes, you'll even find the ADSL won't be able to connect at all.

I've always used filters when I've had ADSL and I haven't seen any downsides. Not that I actually use a land line that much these days. In fact, if it wasn't for the ADSL, I probably wouldn't have a land line at all :D

One thing: unless they've changed in the last couple of years, the router TalkTalk provide is total pants. We had loads of problems with TalkTalk, moved to PlusNet (part of BT) who gave us a way better router and we haven't had any issues since. I guess it's too late, but I can highly recommend PlusNet.

At least you're escaping the clutches of Virgin - total bunch of *****! I had TV/Tel/BB with them for 2.5 years during which time they cut the number of TV channels I got while at the same time almost DOUBLING the price.

4. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert
    None

Thanks for the help but (for now at least, maybe until I switch to TT Fibre) I'm still sticking with virgin as main broadband provider. The TT dsl comes free with my phone package and I have to have it.
    Question was meant to be mainly focused on effects on the phone rather than the dsl Internet seeing as I (will) hardly use it.

5. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Male
    Commercial service Technician for ADT
    Gainesville, FL
    Filters on a DSL line are a good thing. Some providers do one better and put a filter right at the TNI (Telephone Network Interface) so the only house line that has the DSL signal is the one with the modem on it.