1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Phone locking up on boot.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by voogru, Sep 9, 2010.

1. voogru

voogru Active Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Hey all,
    I woke up today to see that my phone was locked up. I removed the battery and let it reboot, it goes back to the lock screen I have, shows the time/cell status.

And then it immediately locks up.

I'm able to get it into recovery mode and I wiped the cache, but no dice. I don't want to reset the data because I have some important sms messages that I'd like to back up, but I can't access the data folder in recovery mode it seems.

Is there a way to backup the data folder in recovery mode? Or another way to get the phone to not freeze on startup? I'm assuming something just got corrupt.

I am able to connect to it via ADB in recovery mode just fine, but can't pull my data directory or use the su commands (permission denied).

FYI: Phone is stock, except I did root it.

Bounty: $20 to anybody's paypal account if their advice helps me recover data.

Advertisement

2. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    I was curious about SMS technology, so a little Googling came up with the following. It's from PC Mag and is very old (note reference to Cingular), so I have no idea how it applies in today's world.

SMS (Short Message Service) text messages are not sent in a peer-to-peer-style manner. In other words, SMS-enabled phones do not connect directly. Text messaging is a store-and-forward technology. One person types a message and sends it to the service provider (Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.). The provider then sends that message to the intended recipient. This is much the same way e-mail works. And in most circumstances, there's some record of the information contained in these messages left on the server.

The article goes on to say:

It's worth checking with your cell-phone service provider to see what kind of SMS storage policy it maintains.

And finally:

This was cast into the light when the defense in the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case announced that they may investigate text messages sent among Bryant's accuser, a former boyfriend, and another friend.

It's a stab, but since there have been no replies I figured what the heck.

If the above is of any value, pick a charity for the $20.

3. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    ^^^ in order to get SMS history from ATT you will probably need a court order, or consent from both you and the other party with whom you were SMS-ing.

4. voogru

voogru Active Member

Jul 18, 2010
    I was trying to extract the sms's from the local database on the phone, the phone was freezing on startup so I was hoping there was an alternative way at getting at the data when the phone was in recovery mode.

I was forced to reflash a stock phone over this and lost the messages.

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Bummer - well - this is too little and too late for this time - but maybe consider this just as insurance against next time? (And I hope there is NOT a next time - but - hey - it's a phone, we all know how that goes, yes?)

SMS Backup v1.1.1 Application for Android | Tools