• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone needed - not tablet

Kim Kvist

Lurker
Jun 15, 2020
Hi.
Where do i go, if my wife need a replacement for an rather old LG G2 mini.
My requirements are quite simple really...
NOT bigger - preferably smaller - than the G2 mini (129 x 66 x 10 mm) - I know that narrows it down to about 0....
Why is it not possible to get a reasonably sized android phone anymore?
The g2 mini has actually been a great device... She even think it is to big....
Is it really nessesary to go Apple? I don't wan't that!
- KK

The Sharp Aquos R2 Compact? I'd never heard of it, but using GSMArena's phone finder with search criteria of no larger than the dimensions that you quoted and not more than 2 years old this looked the best of the very few results.

If you are prepared to go older then the Sony Z Compact series (few years old now) meet the criteria, but they are getting on now.

The width is the killer here. If you go up to 68mm you gain the Galaxy S8 & Pixel 3, 69mm gets you the S9 and Pixel 4, 70mm gets you the S10e, S20 and Pixel 3a. But there is very little in the last couple of years that is 66mm or narrower.

It is bloody annoying that the manufacturers think that everyone wants a phablet. Well actually I'm not sure they do think that, it's just that the margins in this business are small for all but a few (basically Apple and Samsung) and so the safest thing is to concentrate on the mainstream, i.e. do what everyone else is doing, which results in very little real choice, just many variants of the same thing. My main hope is that with a 5.4" iPhone 12 model looking almost certain maybe if that is successful it will prompt some Android manufacturers to take this neglected market segment more seriously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If your wife really dislikes using any her phone that's too large for her tastes, it becomes a matter where resentment just builds up every time she uses it. Smartphones should be increasing her quality of life, not aggravating her.
Looking at Apple's site there doesn't appear to be any new model that meets the size restrictions you posted, or are you thinking of buying an older iPhone model? Apple tends to support their older hardware better and longer than Android (which collectively isn't a very high bar to meet) but it's still a matter where the unavoidable trend is for larger rather than smaller phones. Apologies for being blunt, but at some point she needs to readjust her expectations in the long term. Or think about a flip-phone, there are still several models available for most carriers. There's a lot of limitations in functionality compared to a smartphone but that size limitation issue isn't so much of a factor.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
https://www.phonearena.com/phones

159 x 71 x 8.7 gets you a new slim Sony Xperia L4 with decent specs. Slim but a little taller, as Sony like that aspect ratio. That should be easy to adjust to.

Other than the recommendations above, around me they are still selling new in box Samsung Ace models and similar, which are very small, but will struggle with apps.

IMG_20200615_201840.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones