• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone not accepting password after Oreo update

Tulip4Dalal

Lurker
Apr 21, 2018
I changed my screen pin from fingerprint recognition and changed the password. I then did a software update. Tried to enter my password but get the message my phone is encrioted for security. I have tried my password without any luck. I have 5 attempts left. Does anyone know why this happened. I really do not want to lose what i have on my phone. Rang samsung they could not help.

Your phone was encrypted right out of the box, so the message doesn't actually tell us anything. From this Samsung support page it looks like it's just an option to require a password on startup having been enabled, and the encryption message is just fluff because any device since Android 6 is encrypted anyway.

The question is why it doesn't accept your password? But I can't find any solution other than entering the right password (and have found at least one who swore they had not set a password, which is a little worrying). Every other solution involves the reset you are trying to avoid.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Your phone was encrypted right out of the box, so the message doesn't actually tell us anything. From this Samsung support page it looks like it's just an option to require a password on startup having been enabled, and the encryption message is just fluff because any device since Android 6 is encrypted anyway.

The question is why it doesn't accept your password? But I can't find any solution other than entering the right password (and have found at least one who swore they had not set a password, which is a little worrying). Every other solution involves the reset you are trying to avoid.

Thank you. I changed the password before upgrading. My screen lock password that i changed it to and my old password do not work.
I may have no option than to reset. I have a black screen and not my standard wallpaper. That is why i was of the thought it may have been the upgrade.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones