1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phone only charges when off

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by wintermut3, Aug 11, 2016.

1. wintermut3

wintermut3 Lurker
    None

May 19, 2014
    The only way I can get my phone to charge, is if it is off. The instance I turn it on--if it is plugged into my PC (or any PC I have tried) the PC rejects it saying it failed to retrieve devices info, or invalid device has been plugged in and has malfunctioned. I have tried everything I can think of, different cables, different power sources, pulled the SD card and only used the internal, safe mode, and today I did a factory reset and they haven't made a change in the behavior. I examined the USB connector and see now breaks in the metal ring. the fact that it will charge with the OS disabled makes me think it is driver related, but I would have thought a factory reset would address that issue. Please help, I really love this phone and would hate to have to get a new one...

Advertisement

2. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    It would help if you told us what phone you have.
    But, it does sound like what's happening is when the phone is powered on the PC sees it as an unknown USB device. A factory reset of the phone wouldn't have any effect on this.
    You may be able to go to the phone manufacturer's support site and get the drivers for it.
    Also it's not really a good idea to rely on your PC for phone charging. Even a fully powered USB port (and not all are) cannot provide the full charging current requirement of a recent model phone. USB 2.0 ports max out at 500ma, USB 3.0 at 900ma. Most phones want a charger rated at 1.2 or 2A. The phone will charge with a lower rated supply, just more slowly, although if it's on and running power-intensive tasks it might actually discharge even though it's plugged in.

3. wintermut3

wintermut3 Lurker
    None

May 19, 2014
    Firstly, thank you for the prompt reply...

It is a Kyocera Hydro Life (C6350n)

Very good advice, some things I didn't know and now do. I do charge it most of the time from wall for full charge, but tend to have it in my PC when in use to more or less "top off" the charge--in reading your advice, maybe not the best of practices to do that on a regular basis. You are exactly right in how the PC re-acts about Unknown device error, the message varies depending on if the phone is set to charge only or MTP or the like.
    So it could be the driver on the phone? this is what you meant by get the drivers for it?.. so far I only see the PC drivers : https://www.kyoceramobile.com/support/drivers/ is that the same for the phone?... this is a gray area in my knowledge.... of how the drivers between the phone and the PC interact...

Thank you again

4. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    You shouldn't have to install anything on the phone. The drivers go on the PC so it can properly recognize the device when it's plugged in.

badcatz likes this.
  5. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I would advise that you NOT being using the PC USB port to charge the phone....
    eventually that will damage the PC's port from overheating.

It won't have any negative effect on the phone though, other than the PC port cannot provide enough current to keep up with what the phone needs if you are using it a lot.

I keep extra wall warts around for such things.

I have two Anker wall warts that can support 4 charging ports at 2 amps, and the other can support 6 ports at 2 amps....

and recently I just bought an Anker 26800 portable battery pack to keep me going on the fly when away from the a/c mains. it has a bonus feature, it can actually charge a phone battery TWICE as fast as the 2 amp wall warts.