• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone or battery problem?

Hello all,

This is my first post and i only registered with this incredible site because i TOO am a victim of the draining battery. i have properly charged the battery and fully discharged it and then i left it overnight to charge again.
After 2-3 dayz of owning this phone i noticed that as soon as i took it off the charger from the night before, that even though as it was plugged in it read 100%, that within 1-2 minutes the indicater would show exactly 95 percent.i was very frustrated at that point and thought that maybe it would fix mysteriously by itself somehow, but 5 minutes after that i looked at my battery indicator and it read ....91%.
Now i wuz really pissed. i dont know how to turn off 3g but i had gps off ,wifi off, and background data off as well.i bought this fone even though it has the older processor because of the brilliant AMOLED screen, but i have been having battery issues as well as lag when scrolling up and down in the phonebook or the program menu., or even through the home screens.i will start checking everyday now if it sez fully charged or not. i will keep u posted. :eek::cool::p:eek::):rolleyes::mad::D:eek:

Upvote 0
My phone only says 'Fully Charged' when its charging while turned off. But it does say that. My battery has lasted about 34 hours with 5% left since saying 'Fully Charged.'

Murf
Have you been able to Charge it fully while it's on? If not can you try that today and get back to us tomorrow. Just wake it from sleep and see if it'll say "100% Charging" or "Charged" when it's done.

Upvote 0
Moe,
I know how you feel My Wife's G1 with the stock battery lasts longer.
Only other thing I can think of is maybe we can catalog the Serial numbers of the know bad ones. But I think 1st thing is to find out how common the problem is. If others are getting their Batteries Fully Charged then it doesn't seem like a software problem.

Upvote 0
Moe,
I know how you feel My Wife's G1 with the stock battery lasts longer.
Only other thing I can think of is maybe we can catalog the Serial numbers of the know bad ones. But I think 1st thing is to find out how common the problem is. If others are getting their Batteries Fully Charged then it doesn't seem like a software problem.

I've gone through two bh2's and no change. I love the hardware, but the software is just so terrible that I think I'm gonna have to go to the myTouch

Upvote 0
hey mozymoe,
in the android market search for 2g 3G widget, the top three that show up are good. I used the first one it works. i couldnt find the setting for it in the settings menu but the widget takes you right to it.
hope that helps.

Taropyscho,
IMO the mytouch is a toy compared to the behold. and the mytouchmyself's camera is a joke compared to the samsung behold. i had a mytouch for a week before i couldnt take the "force closes" and the horrible lag after i used a few apps. once i was in google maps and need to make a quick call i couldnt even get out of the map screen to the dialer. (yes i know i can root the mytouch and throw hero on it, but i am a newbie and want a phone to work out of the box i.e. iPhone)

also IMHO, touchcheesewiz gets a bad rap i enjoy it and its not laggy or slow. yes the cube thing is a gimmic but i came to grips with it and use actually use it to get to youtube and music player. its easier to have a desktop shortcut but i think since i got a CUBE button i will make the best of it.

update.....
of todays test at 11pm i had 27% left light use and 3G off when not using it. I did use the music player for 30 minutes while on the treadmill.

Upvote 0
Culo: I'm right there with ya. I don't mind the touchwiz either just wish Sammy didn't hide some of the menu settings, but luckily there's a way around that. I will be calling Sammy CS tomorrow definitely. I didn't today since I had some running around to do and was waiting one some more inputs from other users if they were able to get a good charge. If you or anyone else on here can give other B2 users a heads up on this it'll help when I make the call tomorrow.

We'll get there. I can be tenacious sometimes when it comes to solving problems.

Upvote 0
ohgami,
i've found a couple interesting things for when you call cs.
My phone was in airplane mode for 8 hours the other day and was at 48% afterwards.
Yesterday when i unplugged it in the morning it had not gone to sleep at all (according to spare parts) when i checked at noon. After rebooting it started to sleep as expected. However, the battery seemed to be draining at the same rate anyway. After 15hrs it would say low battery and close the browser if i opened it.
This morning the same thing happened. I had used the alarm both days but turned it off so it would not prevent sleep mode during the day.
So it seems to me like either there's a power leak in the hw or the sw isn't doing sleep mode properly.
I apologize for spelling and grammar, I'm in a hotel on my b2 right now.

Upvote 0
Quick update from my phone....
I tried deleting all widgets and desktop icons. Well took it off the charger at 7am it is now 5pm and i have 77% battery left??????????
Looks like a widget is a battery drain. I had the calendar, sportstap, weatherbug, and coupon widget running.
Going to test one a day to find the evil doer

Upvote 0
Hmmm these are interesting findings.

Culo: I have a feeling it might be the calender Widget. Try that one 1st. I would consider that the lowest common denominator as it is preloaded on a stock B2. I removed mine and it seems to be a bit better but I still have the problem of not fully charging. In some cases it stops @ 94-95% and stops charging.

I have removed all widgets and task killed everything. I have it charging and I'll see how it goes.

Upvote 0
Culo: I'm right there with ya. I don't mind the touchwiz either just wish Sammy didn't hide some of the menu settings, but luckily there's a way around that.

i also wish touchWiz didnt censor the menu settings. I tried Panda Home and got full settings menu but i missed the touchwiz notifcation bar and app bar at the bottom.

Culo: I have a feeling it might be the calender Widget. Try that one 1st. I would consider that the lowest common denominator as it is preloaded on a stock B2. I removed mine and it seems to be a bit better but I still have the problem of not fully charging. In some cases it stops @ 94-95% and stops charging.I have removed all widgets and task killed everything. I have it charging and I'll see how it goes.

I AM SO SAD i really liked the calendar widget and was the number one used app on my Behold its going to suck not have the super quick access.
i will be testing tomorrow with everything the same as my first test just without the calendar widget.

I'm not using the calendar widget. I did have a battery widget and a weather widget running until about an hour ago though.As for charging, I get the "100% charging" thing. When I use a car charger it calculates to about 6.5-8 hours to charge.

mike do you think we will get a update like the Cliq where they improved the battery life?

UPDATE....as of 11pm my batery has 48% left and thats after 3g on all day and my normal calling and texting. with about 5 emails, took 10 pictures of my son, web browsing for 2 hours total plus my normal calendar use and weatherbug checking.
things are looking better :)

Upvote 0
This may be related, maybe not, just one more thing to consider.

The samsung moment has a problem where the operating system reads the the battery level incorrectly. It was confirmed by starting the phone up into a diagnostic mode (hold call button + center button then end call button all at once until it boots). Once in this mode, you could scroll down and see the true battery info. Android would say my Moment was at 10% battery. I would then boot into Diag mode and it said my battery was at 60%....

Since both phones are Samsung and they are both experiencing near identical battery problems, I do not think it is a coincidence, then again, who knows for sure. Samsung sure as hell aint gonna say anything.

Upvote 0
When my phone is on and charging it only says the "100% Charging", and to slightly correct what I said earlier, when off and charging it says "Fully Charged."

On one charge, with Gps/WiFi/3G/Background Data/Auto Updates off, my phone lasted 36 hours with regular/heavy usage.

Murf

Really O_O I wonder if I should exchange one more time >.>;
Could you do me a favor, if ya got aDogTrack installed could you post your list of apps installed maybe I have a battery pig installed among them. As much as I'm not comfortable with no Background data and auto updates, id take it for 36 hour battery life and hopes that Samsung fixes these bugs . . . . .

Upvote 0
Were you having Battery issues or just hated Touchwiz? No offense but we're trying to figure out what's wrong not criticize the Software.
It's been battery issues both times. I tried to return it yesterday, but found out they wanted to charge me for returning it so I opted not to. I want to call customer care and complain, but this kinda has me thinking which company do I complain to . . .

So far both of my BH2's have gotten about 8 hours battery life. I seem to disable more and more and its no where near that 15 days standby time thats on tmobiles website. If I could just have 1-2 days, id be happy (my baseline since my blackberry was capable of that). I've played around with android enough to see that even if samsung failed at the homescreen with alternative homes and alternative keyboards the only thing ive lost is a stupid key I dont want to use (something I can accept).

Upvote 0
OK I got off the phone with Sammy about 15 minutes ago. After a bit of discussion the response was that My phone is under factory warranty until 2011. He also stated that the 1st step I should take is to see if Tmo Sales and service can switch out the battery for me 1st before coming back to them. I'll be going to a Corp Store but not for a couple of days as I'm in the middle of my 12 day work week (Day 5 now Woohoo /sarcasm) But is others want to try this I recommend to flood them with legitimate concerns.

I know this seems like just passing the buck but gotta start somewhere.

Upvote 0
I think the Charging (100%) is a glitch in the Touchwiz Android customizations. only 1 person has said they have had Charged not replied.
Jazzed has gotten more realistic battery life and has the same 100% message.

At this point I seriously think there was a batch of bad batteries. To be dropping 5% just by unplugging the phone is a sign. Although we cant rule out defective handsets. But the first step is to troubleshoot if it's the battery.

Upvote 0
I'll be sending a couple of you a PM to see if I can get an Idea of Where the culprit may be.

Edit: As a Side note to compare with Culo.
I took my Phone off the charger @6am PST @ 100%.
disabled my Alarm Clock after 7am.
Have no Widgets on (took em all off last night), 3G on, GPS off, Background Data on, Synch Off.
Had 19 Texts 10 incoming 9 outgoing.
Had Bluetooth on all day...so far.
Played Fun Towers for about 10 min. (Damn it's addicting)
And made my 1 Phonecall to Sammy for 16 min in length.
Right now @ 6:10 PM PST I'm @ 45% Remaining.

So that's 12Hr with (What I would consider) Very Light usage that uses ~55% of the battery.

Upvote 0
i still think all this massive battery usage is due to the fact that the phone opens up programs in the background (some of the that I never even opened once....telnav navigation, video player, and so on ...) for no apparent reason.
These programs probably connect to data as well.

Once that is fixed I am pretty sure battery will improve dramatically.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones