• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone or battery problem?

I'm still not convinced about the "random program openings," and I'll explain why: I have both Spare Parts and TasKiller installed on my phone. I see several "random program openings" whenever I open TasKiller, and it shows improvement in my system memory when I shut them down, but when I look in Spare Parts, it's a different story.

Spare Parts lists all the applications that have been used since the phone has been on, since it's been unplugged, or since Spare Parts has been installed. Here's the thing: those programs that "randomly open" have never appeared under my Spare Parts log--so these programs aren't draining my battery at all. We've got a regular mystery on our hands, people! One of these programs is a liar, because I would think that a program that is listed as being on and using system memory would require power to run, but if it is not being listed by Spare Parts as ever being on...

My first reaction is that TasKiller is buggin' out a tad, but this could definitely be wrong. Anyway, I just thought that this was an interesting tidbit, and I think that while this may be a glitchy annoyance that could have something to do with poor battery performance, it could also just be a red herring that has nothing to do with battery issues.

Murf

Upvote 0
i beleive the its the evil gremlin that lived inside my old car came back and jumped into my phone.
seriously, if android is running on the G1, myTouch, hero, cliq, eris, droid, and so on but the samsung has a Power saving screen then why is the behold 2 forum all about battery life?

hmmmmmm like sesame street says "one of these things is not like the other" and the difference is.......touch wiz?

look at the cliq, the moto blur was killing its battery and moto updated it, now the battery life is better (reported).

i love this behold 2 bunches, just need more juice man, more juice.

ohgami, i sent you a message with my battery info.

Upvote 0
also update of todays widget test, (i hope my updates help you guys some how)

extreemly light use today and put everything back on the desktops except calendar widget. i only ran wetherbug widget and sports tap widget. GPS was on, took off charger at 7am its 10:40pm and only have 17% left.

i am taking off weatherbug and sportstap widget tomorrow and only running calendar widget. we will see ho it goes.

Upvote 0
OK I think I can confirm this.

The bad batch appears to be in the 07 area of the S/Ns.

Example, Mine on my battery is:
TH1SA07DS/5B
Those that have the 07 are having considerable battery problems. Those that don't have a different number altogether.

Where we go from there is anyway really. You can talk to Tmo and tell them this finding, or Tell Sammy. One of the 2 will have to fix the problem.

GL everyone.

Upvote 0
OK, I have 07 on my battery.
I unplug the phone at about 8 30 every morning, I don't charge it till it's dead.
On the heavy usage days I get till 9 pm or so (30- 45 minuts of music during commute, various emails and sms, about 10 or more phone calls, no wifi and gps on, 3g and auto sync on all the time)
On normal usage days I get till 11 pm.

This definitely beats my g1 (as expected) but it would be nice to have more power considering the big battery and the amoled screen.

So if these batteries are really defective (sorry but don't think so, I think it's the software, had the Galaxy which is essentially the same phone and it would last longer) can someone who bought a replacement battery on E-Bay tell us how they are doing?
Those are about $ 5 - and might offer a quick solution.

Culo: this forum is only about battery because we didn't get a cooked ROM yet :D

Upvote 0
ITS THE WIDGETS!!!!!!

of the charger at 12pm made 2 calls used the music player for an hour at the gym and it 3:30 and i have 87% left.

I think the mix of bad battery software strange stuff running in background and widgets is why we are getting iPhone battery life.

Good thing is it seems all easily remedy. Just a matter of when?

Upvote 0
culo77 is definitely on to something. I was having ~12hr battery life until this weekend. I unplugged my phone yesterday morning around 8am, had it in battery mode for ~8hrs and normal use otherwise (couple phone calls, some googletalk, half hour walk with cardiotrainer, some web browsing) a couple widgets, gps, wifi, bluetooth all on and right now I have 6% battery life 47hrs later. The only change I've made was that I took Battery Left off my home screen because Spare Parts said it was taking up all my CPU time. I think there's more going on though, I didn't have battery left installed for the first week and a half that I had the phone and I was getting bad battery life then too. Edit: Charging has dramatically improved as well. I was getting 1% every 3 minutes or so but now am closer to 1% per minute. It's almost like there's been an OTA update in the last day or two. Also, I can't figure out paragraphs here, so I'm sorry about the wall-o-text.

Upvote 0
However there some of us (myself included) where the battery WILL NOT condition properly. This is an OBVIOUS symptom of a Battery Defect. How do you lose 5-6% just by taking it off the charger? I'm NOT ruling out software at all BUT for some of us (not all) the draining affects us more so there has to a problem physically. My conclusion is that there were defective ones in the 07 batch. All other numbers I have gotten that were considered (good or acceptable) were of a different number entirely.

I May call Sammy Monday or Tuesday and see if my deductions were correct. I think they are.

Upvote 0
FWIW, since switching to dxTop, I'm getting better battery life. With touchwiz, my battery was below 10% after 18-20 hours of moderate use, but after switching, I'm typically at 30% after a full day. This is with widgets running (calendar, battery), a number of background apps, and 3g/gps active but wifi/bt off. The exception to this has been in areas with poor reception, but that will kill the battery of any phone.

It's possible this is entirely coincidental, but I figured I would share the observation. Generally the phone is doing much better now with battery life than the first week I had it.

Upvote 0
While you might be right on that note Ohgami ,I have been surfing the main board of this forum and some other sites , and. I found that all the new android phones released with old 1.5 software is having similar if not the same issues . You can take a look at the Motorola clik and Samsung moment forums ,you'll see what I'm talking bout .

Upvote 0
However there some of us (myself included) where the battery WILL NOT condition properly. This is an OBVIOUS symptom of a Battery Defect. How do you lose 5-6% just by taking it off the charger? I'm NOT ruling out software at all BUT for some of us (not all) the draining affects us more so there has to a problem physically. My conclusion is that there were defective ones in the 07 batch. All other numbers I have gotten that were considered (good or acceptable) were of a different number entirely.

I May call Sammy Monday or Tuesday and see if my deductions were correct. I think they are.

Would a defective battery get worst with additional conditioning?

Upvote 0
Guess what????? after i did what the WeatherBug thread said, battery is at 60% with almost normal use (normal for me). off the charger @ 7:30am and it is now 9:45pm :D

I do agree with Ohgami that the battery cant fully charge. 1 second off the charger and its down to 95% it sounds like a defect to me. is it the battery or the software? we will see when we get android 2.0 (this month?)

i was at a tmobile yesterday exchanging a phone for my mother-in-law asked the hot chick helping me if she had anyone complaining about the battery. she said no, the only phone that gets complaints about battery life is the Cliq. but since the update for the cliq customers are happy. did i mention how hot she was?

Upvote 0
Update:
I Called Sammy and gave them my findings. They didn't seem too interested in hearing it but I figured I'd at least let them know.
I then called 611 Customer Care. I relayed all my findings, those that were experiencing issues and those that were not, and what battery numbers that were associated with those. She took all this information and had it relayed up the levels for review. She notified me that there is a 3 month Warranty on the Battery and I will be sent a replacement for free! Also no need to send the old one back...but be green though and toss it in the Recycling @ your local Best Buy or wherever they recycle phones or electronics.
I may or may not get a call from the upper levels to discuss my findings but either way this is a good resolution.

So to Review: Those who have a battery S/N starting with (TH1SA07) I STRONGLY Recommend that you call 611 and tell them you have a Battery problem so they can send you a replacement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones