• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone: OS/hard-wired or Apps

talvi

Oct 12, 2010
Is the "phone" bit of the MS2 something hard-wired/OS delivered or are there "phones" around as apps that can replace the existing?

Searching for them is tough because the device itself is called a phone so seraching for a phone app simply returns all apps for phones.

Struggled with the installed version and looking for:

• (functioning) SMS read receipts
  • option between threaded/list views for SMS to save screen estate
  • export options for individual SMS (as well as backup for database)
  • functional ringtones (effective audio throw, separate volumes for SMS and calls and caller groups)
  • Setting profiles to enable switching for different environments
  • flexible/simple contacts handling, group search/list/manage, group profiles etc etc.
All the above I've come to expect as standard phone features so getting irritable with searching layered menus that have nothing much on them. Not looking for style/fashion, just simplicity, effectiveness and elegance in design and operation - basic operations in minimum of keystokes etc

Any ideas anyone?

Its all out there. Search fo Dialer, HAndcent, profiles, sms backup.

Thanks, yes, I have found those.

Have you had any experience with phone aps etc?

No need to keep posting about The Market. I am and have been aware of it since Android started out. I have also read on other threads of your frustration with it. Something generally felt out there in Abdroid land.

By the way there are apps that switch the sound off for the camera. I'll update my thread on that in case any others stumble on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones