1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone picky about non-OEM charger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Adara, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Adara

Adara Android Enthusiast

Hi.

SCH-1545 on VZW. Running 4.4.2

The other day, while driving, my battery use was getting really low, so I did what I always do: grabbed a cable and plugged the phone in the car's USB port.

I immediately get a message about using a charger that is unsupported, and that, to protect my phone from damage, charging is being stopped. The message tells me to use my original charger and the original cable that came with the phone.

(And I think: that's all well and good, but that's in my office and I need juice now. I also think: I have a spare battery on me, but there's no way I'm doing a battery pull at 65 mph.)

I have a third-party emergency charger. Tried that. Same result.

Now, as it happens, I had two different cables. (One was an old Motorola cable I had from a phone or two ago; the other was the cable that came with the docking station VZW sold me with this phone -- which is to say, that's a cable VZW pretty much promised would be compatible with the phone.) I tried everything with everything else.

Dock Cable with third-party emergency charger -- phone did not acknowledge it was plugged in to anything.
    Moto cable with third-party emergency charger -- phone recognized it was attached to a non-OEM charger and stopped charging.
    Dock Cable with car USB port -- phone recognized it was attached to a non-OEM charger and stopped charging.
    Moto cable with the car USB port -- success! Phone does not actually realize that it's charging (I get the "USB drive attached" icon, and do NOT get the charging sign in my battery icon) but the percentage starts slowly increasing.

I'm tossing the third-party emergency charger ... and very probably the dock cable as well ... but does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MYKEL61

MYKEL61 Well-Known Member

I had this happen about a week ago. I was POd to say the least. Went home and I charged it at home with the cable and charger that came with the phone.. and the next time I used the car charger or any other one, all was fine. It went away on its own. VERY ODD!.. Haven't had that message since.

3. johnny_w

johnny_w Well-Known Member

Strange, I have the same phone, SCH-i545 running the same 4.4.2. I use an old charger that came with my original Droid with no issues. My old car charger didn't provide enough amperage (I got the charging slow message) so I purchased a cheapy that puts out 2 amps and it works great. I've never even heard of the unsupported charger message.
    I know from flying R/C aircraft that lithium batteries can react poorly if mistreated but I thought all the charging and discharging controls were done on the phone not the charger in cell phones.

4. allanlaw

allanlaw Android Enthusiast

I have never had my S4 balk at an off-brand charger, BUT it is clearly the happiest when it's got the 2 amp stock charger and cord, mostly in terms of speed of charge. BTW most of my chargers are old Moto models from my various old Moto devices, in some cases running through a mini-to-micro USB adapter.

5. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert

I have used at least 10 different chargers, including the official S4 charger, S2, Blackberry, iPhone, no-name eBay special, MacBook, Dell laptop, Lenovo laptops, JVC car stereo etc. and I have never seen this warning on a single occasion.

I am afraid I have no idea why this is happening, but I'd be very interested to know because it's never happened to me and I could hardly have tried a wider variety of chargers.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews