• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone powers down when unlocking

blanchardsw

Lurker
Jul 27, 2011
For days now, every time I try to unlock my phone (usually to read a text message I just received), it powers off the phone the second I touch the screen. This happens without fail, at the same point, every time.

Once the phone shuts off, I turn it back on, wait for it to boot and then I can use the phone. If I put it back into standby mode, it will shut off again once I try to unlock it.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

For days now, every time I try to unlock my phone (usually to read a text message I just received), it powers off the phone the second I touch the screen. This happens without fail, at the same point, every time.

Once the phone shuts off, I turn it back on, wait for it to boot and then I can use the phone. If I put it back into standby mode, it will shut off again once I try to unlock it.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

Your phone running low on space?

What messaging app are you using? The default?

Delete all messages if you can....clean up.

Remove any apps you have added recently.

Download a Task Manager and take a look at what apps are running in the background.

Update the phone if there are any updates for your phone.

Upvote 0
I haven't stored anything extra on my phone since the factory reset. I have a 4GB SD card, as well, with next to nothing on it.

I use the default software for messaging and I have a task manager that I use to ensure nothing is running that isn't essential to the phone.

The only apps on my phone are: "Where's my Droid?", Facebook, and the default apps that come with the phone.

I've also updated my phone maybe a few days ago, but it was doing this before the update.

I honestly can't figure out what would cause this.

Upvote 0
My SE XPeria has developed the same problem as of today.
I did install some minor applications (I thought) yesterday and have just removed them.

I will report back in a few days with the results of their removal. If the issue is now resolved I will provide the names of the apps. Since there were 3, I don't want to implicate them unless there is more evidence that the are the possible cause of the problem.

Upvote 0
My SE XPeria has developed the same problem as of today.
I did install some minor applications (I thought) yesterday and have just removed them.

I will report back in a few days with the results of their removal. If the issue is now resolved I will provide the names of the apps. Since there were 3, I don't want to implicate them unless there is more evidence that the are the possible cause of the problem.

Please do let us know if you manage to narrow this down so that we may replicate it on our end.

Upvote 0
Update:

Today, the phone shut off while I was composing a text message. In addition, it's also been randomly restarting, even when my battery is above 50%.

I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with my battery. I've noticed that if I charge my battery to 100% and use my phone even two times throughout the day, within 8 hours, the battery is below 10%.

If anyone else is having the power down issue, let me know if you notice your battery life drastically shortened. I think it may be related. I may end up getting a new battery to test that theory.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I had recently installed SKYPE and a simple FLASHLIGHT application before my phone started randomly powering itself off. I uninstalled both of these, and have not had a problem since.

That said, SKYPE has updated their app and I have re-installed it without a problem - but I use the app manager to force its removal after I sign out (Skype leaves a running process even after you sign out).

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Update:

Today, the phone shut off while I was composing a text message. In addition, it's also been randomly restarting, even when my battery is above 50%.

I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with my battery. I've noticed that if I charge my battery to 100% and use my phone even two times throughout the day, within 8 hours, the battery is below 10%.

If anyone else is having the power down issue, let me know if you notice your battery life drastically shortened. I think it may be related. I may end up getting a new battery to test that theory.

In regards to the battery issue, this could be a few things. So that we can narrow down the cause of the issue please follow these steps:

Main Menu > Settings > About Phone > Battery Use > Advise me as to what the top three names and percentages are.

Upvote 0
I started having the same problem within the last few months. I always assumed it was low battery, or the phone was not properly detecting the battery level. But today it happened within an hour after fully charging the phone, and I had only used it for about 10 min. I powered the phone back on afterwards, and it's running fine and reports 80% battery.

This guy in another thread reports that he fixed this problem by cleaning the pins that connect to the battery and even adding a little solder to them. I haven't tried this yet myself, but it makes a lot of sense. If the phone momentarily lost its power or had reduced power, it would probably panic and try to shut down.
See: http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/497956-x10-power-off-randomly-solved.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones