1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

phone radio strength>>> which one

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by rabiddawgs, May 4, 2012.

1. rabiddawgs

rabiddawgs Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2012
    I am in the market for a new phone. I currently have a casio commando.
    the signal is not all that bad but there are times its not good.
    my wife has a samsung intensity and daughter has a lg env.
    at my house i get 1 bar and they have 3-4 bars.
    I am not real sure if the radios for smartphones are different then dumb phones or if its a manufacturer thing.

I have read that the motorola's have the best radio's. had an old dumb phone that was moto and remember it was pretty good just the battery sucked.

i am looking at getting the new HTC inc 4g when/if it ever comes out. or maybe the rzr maxx if it comes down in price some.

how are the radios in the htc's? or other brands like samsung, lg etc

Advertisement

2. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    There are several different radios in each phone.
    • There is a cellular radio which is the slowest radio & it most likely the same radio your old "dumb-phones" might have had. These are used for calls & text messages.
    • There are 3G radios that use CDMA or GSM signals. These are for Data.
    • The 4G radios are the fastest and use LTE, WiMax, or HSPA depending on the carrier. These are for Data.
    • There is also the GPS system inside the phone that is used for location services.
    • Some smartphones (but not all) even have FM Tuners so you can listen to your local radio stations.

The strength of your signal will depend on which radio signal you are using, the distance of said tower from your device, the building you are inside, and the antenna in the phone itself.

You will find that most (if not all) modern "4G" smartphones have adequate antenna's & radio's. It will most likely be your carrier coverage in your area that will be the big factor in the quality of reception you get.

If you have any other question, please dont hesitate to ask. I hope you have a wonderful night =)

~ ArmyX