• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

phone randomly reboots

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
My new Android 2.3 smartphone does this sometimes, roughly once per day. usually when an app is hogging CPU/battery (gets hot) and all of a sudden while idle in my pocket i hear the start-up chime, and the phone indeed has restarted itself. battery is usually normal and it works fine the rest of the day. is there a new feature that restarts a phone if an app goes rogue?

My new Android 2.3 smartphone does this sometimes, roughly once per day. usually when an app is hogging CPU/battery (gets hot) and all of a sudden while idle in my pocket i hear the start-up chime, and the phone indeed has restarted itself. battery is usually normal and it works fine the rest of the day. is there a new feature that restarts a phone if an app goes rogue?
What is the model/manufacturer of your phone?

But it does sound like you have a rogue app that causes your phone to overheat, therefore reboot. It's a feature of most modern smartphone to reboot if the processor is overheating.

Upvote 0
the rogue app should it exist doesn't show up on what is using my battery. i think in reality it's just some glitch that causes an app to use CPU (like on Windows where your CPU is 100% on the task manager) all at once, or a governer fail in the speed control. not sure. i got apps only with a rating of 4 stars and up and read reviews, so i doubt any app is bad. BTW it's a Net10 ZTE Merit

EDIT: first time it did this my phone had updated itself and the firmware. i guess it's supposed to auto reboot on firmware upgrade?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones