1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Phone randomly turns off

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by goshjosh, Jan 18, 2013.

1. goshjosh

goshjosh Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2011
    Male
    My phone has had this problem out of the box. I thought it was a normal issue it had so I rooted and did everything and now I'm on cm10 but I still have this issue. It'll usually happen when I'm not using it.

is this a known issue that can be fixed? Or do I have to send it in? Also, if I do return it, I don't have to pay for the replacement right?

Advertisement

2. SuperAfnan

SuperAfnan Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2012
    Male
    High School!
    A yellow house
    First off what are your cpu settings? If you overclocked too high or undervolted too low that could cause random reboots.

goshjosh likes this.
  3. goshjosh

None

Oct 6, 2011
    Male
    I thought it was that too but, like I said, it started way before I even rooted or anything of that sort. So It wasn't that. /:

4. youngSWi

youngSWi Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 22, 2012
    Faulty phone, get a replacement.

goshjosh likes this.
  5. goshjosh

None

Oct 6, 2011
    Male
    Would you know if I for sure get a 1 year warranty?

6. ramjet73

ramjet73 Android Expert
    None

Jun 22, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That depends on whether or not there's any evidence of it being dropped or damaged by liquid. Most vendors that warranty their electronic devices void the warranty for accidental damage, which is why insurance can be useful for expensive smartphones.

ramjet73

goshjosh likes this.
  7. goshjosh

None

Oct 6, 2011
    Male
    Ah. from VM though? When I had my Motorola Triumph they had given the owners a year of free warranty. Just say what was wrong with it (pretty much everything) and we would get a replacement and sent the old one back. They never seemed to bother checking on the phone. I'd send my MT rooted with an MIUI rom and never hear a word about it. :p

I remember someone telling me we do, but I would just like some more confirmation. :)

8. ramjet73

ramjet73 Android Expert
    None

Jun 22, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yes, according to Virgin Mobile website you have a 1 year warranty on the hardware. As I said in my last post, there are exclusions:

Sprint will swap the phone at their stores if you have insurance, but inspect and repair it when it is only under warranty.

Perhaps someone with experience replacing a phone under warranty with Virgin Mobile can report on their experience.

ramjet73

goshjosh likes this.
  9. goshjosh

None

Oct 6, 2011
    Male
    Thank you so much, Ramjet! I should be good since this problem seems to have been something wrong with the phone since I got it. I'll call and see what they can do for me. :)

10. nsciucco

nsciucco Android Expert
    None

Mar 1, 2012
    Male
    SALES
    MASSACHUSETTS
    I had the same problem with my first evo. I have had virgin replace it 4 times. No issues. They dont even question it.... I didnt even buy it from them. It was @ radioshack

11. ochenta

ochenta Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2012
    VM is usually one of the best when it comes to getting a replacement with the 1 yr warranty. Back when I was using my Optimus V they replaced it immediately even when it had some obvious scratches from fall damage. Good luck, hope it works for you!

goshjosh likes this.
  12. ramjet73

ramjet73 Android Expert
    None

Jun 22, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm glad you guys are able to get your phones replaced under warranty by VM so easily. I've had two warranty claims refused by Sprint because they said there was "water damage" that could easily have been caused by condensation.

Since the claims are handled over the phone instead of in a store that must work to your advantage. Also, given the type of service you have it's in VM's interest for you to have a working phone, where with Sprint you pay whether you can use the service or not as long as the contract is in effect. And refusing replacement under warranty often results in a forced upgrade and contract extension. :(

Consider that when you feel like complaining about Virgin Mobile, :D

ramjet73

goshjosh likes this.
  13. nsciucco

nsciucco Android Expert
    None

Mar 1, 2012
    Male
    SALES
    MASSACHUSETTS
    very good point Ramjet73

14. goshjosh

None

Oct 6, 2011
    Male
    Oh wow. One more reason to stay on pre-paid I guess. Thank you for the info. :)

I think I might have figured out why it messes up so frequent. I accidentally dropped my phone today and I had tried to turn it on with no luck. I thought I had finally broken it! I pulled the battery and noticed that one of the little metal prongs(?) was somewhat shorter than the rest so it probably wasn't have a good connection with the battery. And it makes sense now that the phone turns off since I seem to put my phone down frequently. and I also have a pretty heavy hand so It goes down a little harder than it should. x)

Thank you guys again for all the info. I'll be calling VM again tomorrow to request a replacement. :)

15. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    Male
    Disabled
    CT, USA
    Yeah Virgin is definitely one of the best when it comes to phone replacement, most companies want the phone returned before shipping or at least put a hold on your credit card. When I was going through all sorts of problems with my Triumph I actually had 4 of them sent in less than 2 weeks. If you don't send the phone back within 2 weeks they'll blacklist the meid/msn so that the phones are unusable.

Tags: