1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone reached 0% watching video but now won't turn back on

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by King Mustard, Apr 27, 2020.

1. King Mustard

King Mustard Well-Known Member

Was watching a video until it died.

It has been plugged in for hours since it powered down, so it should be fully charged.

I have held the power button down for 30 seconds but nothing happens.

When plugging it in to a computer, there's no response from either side.

Any suggestions?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Leave it plugged in for more hours (though if you have another cable, try that to be sure).

Deep discharge is bad for a battery, so if the battery has been run very flat the phone will start by charging very slowly in order to protect it. So leaving it a long time may be necessary before it will start charging normally.

Of course, particularly if the battery condition wasn't brilliant to start with, there is a risk that the battery has been damaged. Hopefully not, because the only fix for that is a new battery. If leaving it for a day doesn't help I'd fear you are in that position.

If the battery is low then a USB-A socket on a computer won't be able to charge it at all. And unless the phone can power up I'd not expect the computer to recognise it (because the phone can't respond to identify itself).

3. King Mustard

King Mustard Well-Known Member

It has been charging for 48 hours from the mains.

I also tried holding down the power and volume down buttons together for 10-15 seconds while plugged in. Didn't do anything, either.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

If pressing power does nothing I'd not really expect booting into the bootloader to work, I'm afraid.

But if it's been plugged in for that long and doesn't respond at all then the possibilities I can think of are:

1) the charger or cable has failed (easy to test if you have another USB-C device, a different cable or a different charger+cable. Bit of a coincidence for it to happen now though)
    2) the battery has failed (much more inconvenient, but less coincidental)
    3) the power key is stuck or broken (which would also be a bit of a coincidence)
    4) the phone's USB connector or charging circuit has broken (which would be even more of a coincidence)
    5) the motherboard has failed (worst possible case, and also a huge coincidence)

Number 1 would be good news, all of the others would require repair.
    I'm sorry, but I can't think of anything else you can try yourself.

codesplice and tommo47 like this.
  5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

It might not be a matter of just which buttons, but the sequence and timing. Try getting into Recovery mode by holding down the Volume Down button for a few seconds, and then while still holding it down press the Power button.
    https://www.hardreset.info/devices/google/google-pixel-xl-2/recovery-mode/

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

It's dead Jim.

MrJavi likes this.

Google Pixel 2 XL Forum

The Google Pixel 2 XL release date was October 2017. Features and Specs include a 6.0" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 835 processor, and 3520mAh battery.

October 2017
Release Date
Reviews