1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone returned after 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmm92108, Apr 22, 2012.

1. jmm92108

jmm92108 Well-Known Member

I got my brand new E4GT about 3 weeks go, rooted it immediately, and it worked perfect for the first 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I decided to try a ROM (Blazer) and the next day started to have speaker problems, and call quality problems. It got worse and worse each day until it was impossible to make calls anymore. I thought maybe it was the ROM so I tried another one (Calkilin ICS) but that didn't fix it.
    Yesterday I unrooted (thanks to QBKing videos) and went back to stock and the problem was still there. So thats good news, it wasn't the ROMs fault. I took it to the Sprint store to see what they could do. There is only a 14-day return policy. I thought it was 30 days, did they change that recently? Since it had been 3 weeks they charged me $35 to look at it. An hour later they told me the speaker/microphone/headphone circuit was bad and they were giving me a replacement refurbished phone. The replacement phone looks new so I guess I'm not too mad about not getting a "new" one.
    The whole time they kept pushing their phone insurance on me. I've always thought it was a rip-off because at $7/month x 24 months plus $100 deductable, thats more than the $200 I paid for the phone. But I think I may go back and get the insurance for 3 or 4 months, and then cancel it.
    Anyway, has anybody else had a speaker/microphone/headphone problem?? Of course the guy at the store said he had never ever seen that problem before...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Netcat

Netcat Android Enthusiast

Why root it immediately? Then you have nothing to compare the rooted phone to. I've never rooted and I've never had any problems like that. You said that the next day after you installed the Blazer ROM you started having speaker problems. There's your answer. It was the Blazer ROM. Maybe rooting your phone with that ROM that caused an overload on the circuit. I think you got off lucky with only having to pay $35.

3. Ronny71

Ronny71 Well-Known Member

That was a hardware issue not a rom issue...I flash roms a lot...Never a problem...Ive rooted my last three phones...again never a problem...Since Ive been flashin ICS Roms lately never a problem...except a couple of soft bricks:rolleyes:...Odined it... got right back in a few minutes...The CWM recoveries they have been usin lately have been hard brickin phones (Read Here How Not To Brick Your E4GT (UPDATED 4/21/12) - xda-developers ...If you follow the Devs Instructions to a tee you won't have a problem...:D

If you don't want to Root...thats fine...But Rooting the Phone won't cause a Hardware issue that I've seen...:thinking:

4. jmm92108

I root immediately because there are programs I want to run that require it.
    This is my third android phone and I flashed ROMs before and was much happier with the custom ROMs compared to the stock ROMs. Plus, I'm a smartphone nerd so it's fun (but slightly frustrating sometimes).
    I'm 99% sure the timing of the speaker/microphone problem was a coincidence. Brand-new unrooted phones have problems and get returned all the time...

ScandaLeX likes this.
  5. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

So technically your phone wasn't returned- it was replaced.

6. jmm92108

I returned the phone to the Sprint store and they replaced it.

Rooted and running Blazer ROM for a few days now. Working flawlessly...

7. Ronny71

Ronny71 Well-Known Member

Nice....:cool:

8. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Android Expert

You only pay $100 deductible when it's your fault. Not when it's a manufacturer defect.

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Forum

The Samsung Epic 4G Touch release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.52" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1800mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews