• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone ruins the experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojosodope

Android Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2012
Well I have decided to go back to apple. I really tried to luke this phone and android but still nothing. The battery life is garbage, I get horrible signal with this, the phone is constantly power cycling, there is supposed to be a 2.3.6 update which I'm still not getting, still no 4.0 ICS, texting is awful, playing pictures as a video is dumb, and overall just a fail...lots of people say oh u got a bad unit or why don't u just buy a second battery...why should I have to buy another battery there is no reason for me to..I should have 50% after taking my phone off the charge two hours before...my wife forgot to charge her iPhone the other night and in the morning had only lost 2%...my phone would have been dead...this is the second time I have had an android device and have realized that they are garbage both HTC and Samsung, I want a phone that actually works and I don't need to do a million things just to be able to use it

Yea I agree but I refuse to go back to an Iphone, I had the same hassle with my 3GS not updating via the computer after several attempts.

I called Apple support person said they would be glad to help me with my issue if I spent $199 on there service plan.Told him to GFH!

To this day my 7 year old uses it for games and it still will not update to the latest OS.

To me there all the same, least I was able to get a new Skyrocket!

Best of luck.

See its not worth the hassle its straight crap that people have to do this just to get an update

Upvote 0
Everyone's threshold for configuring is different. Some want to tinker all day and other's want an out of the box appliance. It's why Apple and Android dominate the smartphone market. Feel free to come back and share your iPhone experiences with us, if you like. We'd genuinely be interested in your comparisons. :D

Reactions: SkyRocketeer
Upvote 0
Well I have decided to go back to apple. I really tried to luke this phone and android but still nothing. The battery life is garbage, I get horrible signal with this, the phone is constantly power cycling, there is supposed to be a 2.3.6 update which I'm still not getting, still no 4.0 ICS, texting is awful, playing pictures as a video is dumb, and overall just a fail...lots of people say oh u got a bad unit or why don't u just buy a second battery...why should I have to buy another battery there is no reason for me to..I should have 50% after taking my phone off the charge two hours before...my wife forgot to charge her iPhone the other night and in the morning had only lost 2%...my phone would have been dead...this is the second time I have had an android device and have realized that they are garbage both HTC and Samsung, I want a phone that actually works and I don't need to do a million things just to be able to use it

iPhone...boring

Upvote 0
By the way man good luck with your iPhone...I lose 1% per hour or less when in standby...my guess is you have an app acting up on you SkyRocket...I was losing a lot more than that on my 4s...

My wife has the white 4s and today she spent 4 hours on the internet, talked, and sent text, when she got home she was at 75%...my phone was at 24% when I got home and all I did was send about 20 text

Upvote 0
My wife has the white 4s and today she spent 4 hours on the internet, talked, and sent text, when she got home she was at 75%...my phone was at 24% when I got home and all I did was send about 20 text

With all due respect man, and I do definitely respect your service and thank you for it...If your phone is losing 50% of it's power while in standby when you sleep, there is a battery drain problem going on. You are never going to get the best out of this phone with that kind of drain going on...it's not the phones fault...you need to figure out what was draining your battery...I get less than 1% drain per hour while I sleep... usually 3-5% overnight. I had the iPhone 4s before the Rocket in the Sky...I get at least as good battery performance and maybe better, as I have really concentrated on some simple steps to help conserve the battery...it has a much bigger screen to begin with...TURN DOWN the brightness...read some of my other posts for other battery saving steps, that don't really change the experience. Good luck, and enjoy the iPhone, it's a good phone also...to those considering or new to the Rocket in the Sky...This is one of many smart devices I have owned, and by far the best.

Upvote 0
With all due respect man, and I do definitely respect your service and thank you for it...If your phone is losing 50% of it's power while in standby when you sleep, there is a battery drain problem going on. You are never going to get the best out of this phone with that kind of drain going on...it's not the phones fault...you need to figure out what was draining your battery...I get less than 1% drain per hour while I sleep... usually 3-5% overnight. I had the iPhone 4s before the Rocket in the Sky...I get at least as good battery performance and maybe better, as I have really concentrated on some simple steps to help conserve the battery...it has a much bigger screen to begin with...TURN DOWN the brightness...read some of my other posts for other battery saving steps, that don't really change the experience. Good luck, and enjoy the iPhone, it's a good phone also...to those considering or new to the Rocket in the Sky...This is one of many smart devices I have owned, and by far the best.

I love the screen yes and think its the second best phone I've had...I always have wifi and location services off....no widgits and only one screen....have not downloaded anything really other than the normal things to get me by...its just flat frustrating

Upvote 0
I love the screen yes and think its the second best phone I've had...I always have wifi and location services off....no widgits and only one screen....have not downloaded anything really other than the normal things to get me by...its just flat frustrating

Do you have a good 4G signal in your area? A marginal LTE signal can make the 4G radio go into perpetual search mode which can gobble up battery like crazy.

Upvote 0
I ended up buying an extra battery and charger for my Skyrocket, I normally swap once a day and get about 6 hours of life out of each battery.

I'm a heavy user, talk, texting and surfing.

I keep my brightness all the way up, GPS on and I'm intermittent LTE at my house all the time. 4G and LTE way faster than my internet at the house so I leave wifi off.

I use no special task killers except for the stock one on the phone and a few times a day go in and exit out of it all.

Upvote 0
About the only thing I miss about the Iphone is the music player but use an Ipod for music when on the bike.

Normally only takes a few things to piss me off from a company, last Iphone I had was my 3GS had the 4 for about 2 weeks before I sent it back because of slow data speeds. 3GS would not update to the latest OS and it still won't. AT&T said it was an Apple issue and they want to charge me $200 to give me an answer.

Least I was able to get a new Skyrocket without an out of pocket money for there error.

I think I just miss the texting, camera, and iTunes the most

Upvote 0

One of your battery drain problems is keeping WiFi off especially if you are getting a weak 4G signal. If the phone has to constantly try to get or maintain signal, it's going to drain the battery. Of course the 4G LTE speeds here in Tampa Bay Florida are great, for th emost part the speeds I get from my home WiFi are pretty decent AND it has less of a drain on the battery. The iPhone is a 3G phone and does not pose as much drain, but of course it is slower, much slower. My daughter has an iPhone 4S that has 4G hspa+ but compared to my Skyrocket, it's a slug and the screen looks tiny.

Try using the WiFi and see what happens, also make sure your GPS and Blu-tooth are off when not needed.

Upvote 0
My skyrocket never loses battery hardly at all. I charge it every 2-3 days and I have had a iphone for 4 years before this phone and have deduced that the skyrocket is far superior in almost every way except the sending of video's to other phones. I guess it is true though the grass is always greener on the other side ..... Good luck on your iphone endeavors.

Upvote 0
I too am not satisfied with the Skyrocket. I'm not happy with the poor battery life. Maybe I was spoiled coming from the Atrix 1 and 2 but man, it just doesn't cut it. Even with JuiceDefender I wasn't satisfied. I'm also not impressed with Samsungs Touchwiz. The keyboard is a bit annoying.

All in all, its a good phone but definitely not the "top of the line" type of device I was thinking it would be.

I will never switch to an iPhone though. Way too simple of an experience for my taste. I'll be within the 30-day exchange period by the time the One X comes out, so I'm going with that bad boy. Hope I'm not disappointed as I've been really excited about that phone for the last month or two.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones