• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone Sections: Sub-forums vs Prefixes vs Nothing

Subforums vs. Prefixes vs. Neither (Please Read below First!)

• (1) Leave the "Accessories", "Tips and Tricks", and "Support and Troubleshooting" sub-forums as is.

Votes: 108 50.2%
  • (2) Remove all sub-forums but "All Things Root", require sortable prefixes in both.

Votes: 67 31.2%
  • (3) Remove the 3 sub-forums, leaving "All Things Root", do not add prefixes.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 20 9.3%

• Total voters
Subforum Standard:

- Make "Support and Troubleshooting" and "All Things Root" the only subforums by standard.

- Create these subforums for all current devices and all future devices on forum creation. Phones and Tablets.

- Move threads in any exsisting accessories and tips and tricks subforums into the general forum, then delete the subforums.

- Possibly have a "tips and tricks" sticky in the main, and a "ROMs" sticky in the ATR, that can link to all the appropriate threads. Possibly not.

- A dynamic, updated and maintained ROMs sticky would be useful in the ATR subs, imo.

- A Tips and Tricks sticky would work only if maintained religiously by the staffer(s) in charge of that device (similar to the ROMs sticky); I'm in favor of that.

All Things Root quicklinks on the main page:

Either delete (people can drill into the phone forum and/or use the favorite forums feature) or.. see if I can get them to display in four rows rather than two when you click "show". I think I prefer delete.

- I respectfully disagree with deletion of those links, as they can be useful to new members searching, and who haven't the inclination to drill into the phone forums.

Tablet Section:

- Follow same subforum standard as the phone forums.

- Add all tablets that are currently available, including the standard subforums.

- Add tablets as they become available or as hot tablets get announced. Or, if we must, add all tablets as they get announced period. Yes the home page will grow, but should stay contained, see Archived Section, below.

- +1. It puzzles me to think that Android tablet forums would be treated differently than phone forums.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
+1 on Phases latest post. Lets do it!

All Things Root quicklinks on the main page:

Either delete (people can drill into the phone forum and/or use the favorite forums feature) or.. see if I can get them to display in four rows rather than two when you click "show". I think I prefer delete.

I think deleting is the best option. Moving threads is quite frustrating scrolling through all those links (that can't be selected when moving threads). I think any new member is going to head for their phone forum first, not an All things Root forum.

Upvote 0
Phases, I think you have a great plan
thumbsup.gif

Upvote 0
I have just been informed:

- All current forums will stay as is, however they are.
- A developed prefix system is planned for future devices, leaving ATR as the only subforum and utilizing prefixes for the general area.

Unsure what I'm to do for future forums in the meantime, at this point.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I have just been informed:

- All current forums will stay as is, however they are.
- A developed prefix system is planned for future devices, leaving ATR as the only subforum and utilizing prefixes for the general area.

Unsure what I'm to do for future forums in the meantime, at this point.

Thanks

In the meantime, I will create ATR on forum creation, and that is it. I will probably also go on and create that for all current as well. Just not the other three, I should have worded that better I guess.

Upvote 0
Good to hear something is being done.

I'd say the only concern about the prefixes is that people either new to Android or new to forums (cough - mod inside joke) will be completely confused or not understand what they're question falls under, creating a lot more confusion amongst everyone else within that forum. I'd say that's atleast something to take into account, as the prefix method only works when members understand it fully.

Upvote 0
Good to hear something is being done.

I'd say the only concern about the prefixes is that people either new to Android or new to forums (cough - mod inside joke) will be completely confused or not understand what they're question falls under, creating a lot more confusion amongst everyone else within that forum. I'd say that's atleast something to take into account, as the prefix method only works when members understand it fully.

Maybe on the create thread page, there can be an explanation?

If it was selected by radio, this could work. Or are we going to see drop down?

Upvote 0
The issue with Radio is, you would have to set it to default to none selected, then force the user to select one by not allowing to post until it was selected.

With a drop down, you simply have a blank position set as default. If there was a preview box that displayed a descrition once selected, or even just a text box with all desc in it (probably better) that could work too.

But yeah, radio would be my favourite choice. It just depends if the above can be done, otherwise you'd have a lot of threads raised with whatever the default radio is set as.

Upvote 0
Very good points about the defaults.

As an example, there's an ongoing issue with staffers who have to move threads, dealing with the radio button choices as to how long the redirect should be.. the existing default is pretty much the least used choice. ;)

Leave No Redirect
Leave Permanent Redirect
Leave Expiring Redirect
tree_ltr.gif
Expires in

The "Expires in," used when the "Leave Expiring Redirect" radio choice is made, has two multiple choice drop down menus for number of hours, days, weeks, months.

Something like that could be workable for this issue, perhaps?

Upvote 0
Ok. See the classifieds section.

This section uses prefixes, and now we have the "filter by prefix" in place. See it? You can filter by whichever one you want to see, or all.

This is what we are going to do for all FUTURE phone forums, and current forums that don't have the 3 subforums already.We are going to leave the ATR subforum, and have it created when future devices forums are made. Prefiixes will be required in the forums that utilize them.

So,

Device forum, with sortable REQUIRED prefixes, and the ATR subforum, possibly with it's own set of prefixes.

Now, it is no big deal to add prefixes. They don't take up space like subforums do. For the main forums, here is what we plan to have:

General
Support (and/or Troubleshooting)
Tips (and/or Tricks)

For the root subforum, we could use the same set of prefixes.. or soemthing else, perhaps:

General
ROMs
Overclocking

Ideas for both are welcome. I don't want a shmillion things but, we can add as many as we want for each, so long as we think they'll actually be used and helpful.

Ideas for both the main device forum, and the ATR subforum (or even none in ATR, if we think that is best) - Ready, set, go!

Upvote 0
Ideas for both are welcome. I don't want a shmillion things but, we can add as many as we want for each, so long as we think they'll actually be used and helpful.

Ideas for both the main device forum, and the ATR subforum (or even none in ATR, if we think that is best) - Ready, set, go!

My suggestion is to keep is simple.... something like:

[Question/Help]
[Tip!]
[Accessory]
[App]
[General Discussion]

ATR - NONE (for the time being)

Upvote 0
My suggestion is to keep is simple.... something like:

[Question/Help]
[Tip!]
[Accessory]
[App]
[General Discussion]

ATR - NONE (for the time being)
Agreed on everything posted by kelmar. I don't think its necessary to impose prefixes for ATR.

Now we just have to hope newer members will know what to put for their threads:eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones