1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone security doesn't work with Nova Launcher

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alunjai, Aug 2, 2017.

1. alunjai

alunjai Newbie

I recently got a Samsung S8 plus from Hong Kong with a 128GB ROM and 6GB RAM and after installing Nova Launcher Prime I have noticed the fingerprint, face recognition and iris scanner doesn't work. To unlock the security I need to use the pattern to unlock.

Does anyone have the same issue? Is there any way I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Odd, do you have nova set as a device administrator?

mikedt likes this.
  3. alunjai

alunjai Newbie

Not sure. How do I do that? I have set Nova launcher as my default launcher (if that's what you mean).

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Did the iris, face and fingerprint unlocks work before you installed Nova?

From Hong Kong? It is actually a real S8 Plus you've got there and not a fake? There are some very convincing knockoff S8 that come out of China, but the iris, face and fingerprint stuff doesn't function, those features are dummy.

#4 mikedt, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Dannydet and El Presidente like this.
  5. El Presidente

VIP Member

Try Settings, Lock Screen & Security, Other Security Settings. Device Adminstrators. Mine is unchecked and I can use the fingerprint without issues.

I'm guessing you definitely have a finger print added (it's not been deleted or anything)? Have you tried deleting and re-adding again?

mikedt likes this.
  6. alunjai

alunjai Newbie

This is a real S8 plus bought from a well known electronic store. It's legit and not from China. The face and fingerprint did unlock before I installed Nova. In fact it still works when I change back to Touchwiz (fingerprint does).

mikedt likes this.
  7. alunjai

alunjai Newbie

Mine is unchecked but still can't use. When I revert back to Touchwiz fingerprint and face works well.

I have tried removing and re-adding the face and fingerprint but still doesn't work.

8. alunjai

alunjai Newbie

Are you using Nova Prime? And is it latest Nova 5.3?

9. El Presidente

VIP Member

Yep, using the latest version of Nova Prime.

Let me have a muck about in Nova settings, see if I can find anything which may be causing the issue.

10. alunjai

alunjai Newbie

Thank you! Appreciate your help!

11. alunjai

alunjai Newbie

I've spent some time playing with the Nova settings and discovered that if I use the Gesture function to double tap screen to lock phone it allows me to use biometrics to unlock the phone. I then found out that if I locked my phone with the power button I can also unlock using biometrics. The only time I can't unlock with biometrics is when I lock my phone with an app/widget called "power toggles". I don't think power toggles has a setting to allow biometrics to unlock. So in the end the issue has nothing to do with Nova Launcher but more to do with locking the phone with Power Toggles.

12. El Presidente

VIP Member

Good! I could find nothing in the Nova settings that would've caused your problem.

Glad you got to the bottom of it anyway. :)

13. mikedt

mikedt 你好

FYI Hong Kong is in China. And most of the knockoffs are shipped out from HK or Shenzhen.

#13 mikedt, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  14. alunjai

alunjai Newbie

Thanks for your help!

15. alunjai

alunjai Newbie

I worked in HK for 10 years and always bought phones from big reputable stores like Broadway and Fortress. I will never buy any phones from Shenzhen. Maybe some cheap phone cases but that's about it.

16. Luke8888

Luke8888 Lurker

First you need to go to nova setting, advance, and screen lock method, and use the time out method not the admin.
    Hopefully that's help.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus release date was April 2017. Features and Specs include a 6.2" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4/6GB RAM, Exynos 8895 processor, and 3500mAh battery.

April 2017
Release Date
Reviews