1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phone Sensor

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jeremy1701, Jul 8, 2011.

1. jeremy1701

jeremy1701 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    Hello,
    The sensor that detects when the phone is near your ear seems to have stopped working, at all. I noticed a while ago that the screen wasn't dimming when I was on the phone and sure enough, no matter what I do, I can't get it work. Even holding my entire hand over it does nothing.

I'm wondering if I adjusted some setting or something? I don't recall doing it, nor can I find one to re-enable it. Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Did you test it when you made a call and then placed your hand over the sensor?

I place my hand over my sensor just while my phone is on the main screen (no call) and nothing happens. But if i call 611 or whatever and cover the entire sensor with my hand the screen goes black. I have noticed when i make calls that i have to have the phone at the very specific angle/spot for the screen to go off. But since I started using Widgetlocker an the in call screen lock option on that i have not noticed it randomly coming back on during a call.

3. jeremy1701

None

Mar 3, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    Yeah, I tried it mid-call. First my hand, then my whole arm. The screen never goes off. I put a post it over the sensor and tried it in a variety of positions, to check it maybe it was G-Calibrated, e.g, has to be in the up position *and* covered sensor. Nothing. That's why I thought maybe it was a setting that could be enabled or disabled.

Where do I find the incall screen lock option?

4. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Open up Widgetlocker then menu-settings-behavior -scroll down to show in call and check that box.

5. jeremy1701

None

Mar 3, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    Okay, thanks for that. The problem still persist. It's like the sensor is completely turned off.... or broke. Is there any way I can further diagnose this issue?

6. Simba501

Simba501 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    Not that I know of. You must have gotten a bad unit. Being that this is a hardware problem, I don't think there would be much else you could do, aside from taking the phone apart. Make all your backups using Titanium - backup all apps & system data (or the app of your choice), get it exchanged, and restore your data to the new device. It's important to note that you shouldn't restore system data (in Titanium - I don't know what the equivalent is in any other app). Restoring system data could cause issues (unless you're restoring system data to the same ROM). Restore missing apps + data, this will put all your apps back in the same state.

7. jeremy1701

None

Mar 3, 2011
    Kenosha, WI

Most troubling.... :mad:

8. jeremy1701

None

Mar 3, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    So I recently had to tear apart my Inspire.... In doing so, I found the culprit. There was so much dust covering the sensor that there's no way it would work. It's this bad in less then five months? I keep the phone in my pocket, and it looks like that screen across the top is acting as a short of fuzz shaver, capturing tons and tons of lint and dust. Dang. Not sure what to do other than the occasional blow out with pressurized air.

9. Simba501

Simba501 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    Interesting. I suppose that's all you could do. The intricate process of assembly could've caused your device to be more susceptible to dust collection. Anything is possible. Glad you found your solution. Maybe it won't collect enough this time around to interfere with function.