• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone shopping and this phone was a pick on my list

alpha2k

Android Expert
Nov 19, 2009
I've been on the hunt for a new phone, so I kinda landed on a couple now, this and the s3.

While the s3 is impressive, but more money, I am really impressed with this moto g phone.

GPS is a huge must for me, then the 3g, then the camera.

What sells me on this phone is it has in almost every review, most people are well pleased with it. The camera isn't really a factor nore in the camcorder as I dont use them a whole lot really, I more use them as a semi casua user, so I'm not into the big photography scene.

The s3 will offer 4g lte, and a better camera/camcorder, but I like the simplicity of the OS on the moto g phone.

The s3 will also offer a bigger screen but I can deal without the bigger screen if need be.

What it boils down to for me is I'm concerned seeing as how it seems like all the newer phones are going the 4g lte road, what does this mean for 3g....will 3g be around for awhile or is it getting ready to phase itself out?

I normally buy a phone for at least 2 yrs haul, but I'd also go longer if I had a decent phone.

I'm also not a huge touchwiz fan at all, and I think that's what attracts me to the moto x, moto g, and nexus phones, but seeing as I am on a budget I have to think budget, I can't afford diamonds on a bologna budget.

So I guess it boils down to is 3g going to phase out or is it gonna stay for awhile.

I might add I saw this phone for $99 at best buy, so this is why I ask, that's cheap, and if this phone is truely what they say it is, $99 is awfully tempting.

Moved to Device Comparison forum. :)

Having owned both (though only used the S3 as a daily driver), I think both are great options. Depending on your carrier, 3G could be doable or a disaster. I've been using LTE for a few years now and couldn't live without it. I've used the camera a few times on the Moto G and it's really not that bad. The S3's camera is solid (never used the camcorder). I love the build of the Moto G vs. the S3.
The price of the Moto G is just insanely good, it's a steal in my opinion. If you can tolerate 3G, I'd highly recommend it. :)

Upvote 0
I checked out prices, and they all are closely related in prices, around $70-$75 a month. No boost mobile price range, but I've heard that boost and virgin mobile will be merging soon, and going to what it's called like sprint freedom, but the merge for whatever reason doesn't settle well with me. Some little voice inside says get out while you can, dunno, just a gut feeling is all, I honestly do not know how it will work out.
Given that they are all closely related in price, it really won't matter, and given my situation and the way the economy it's these days, I personally have to stick with pre-paid.
In short I had a small season of slim to no work for about a year to a year and a half, and had to let my phone service drop, so I was VERY glad I didn't have a contact at that time, it was only about 3 months ago I have gotten back my phone service again.
While contracts offer more phone choices, there is something to be said about not having a contract.

3g isn't an issue really, both for me or around my area. I don't even use my 4g wimax on this epic 4g touch at all, so I'm sure it won't bother me to be on 3g only on the moto X either. The only thing that concerns me is, I buy the phone and a year later they start phaseing out 3g, for 4g.....just seems to look like that's the going trend.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones