1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone shows outgoing calls I did not make

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lekes725, Nov 28, 2020.

1. lekes725

lekes725 Lurker

I apologize if this has been address on another post. I try to find out but had no luck.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. I've noticed lately in my call log, outgoing calls that I did not make. Typically it is 2 calls at the same timestamp, and typically to California. When I look at the "Details" it shows that the number is blocked. I block the number of any spam calls coming it. But can my phone make calls on its own? Does my phone have a virus?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

It is possible for apps to have permission to make calls.

I don't know the exact location in your phone settings. Mine is located in:
    settings > apps & notifications> advanced > permissions manager

From there I can select an individual permission, in this case "phone" and see what apps have permission to make calls.

Look for something similar in your device. If an app you've installed has that permission and shouldn't, either block the permission for that app or remove the app.

For example if you have a game installed with permission to make calls, that's a red flag and probably a malicious app.

Screenshot_20201128-190026.png

3. lekes725

lekes725 Lurker

Thanks Brian for the feedback. I don't play games on my phone. I have checked all my permissions and turned a few off but non that are suspicious. This has only started over the last few weeks that I have noticed. The outgoing phone number is not the same every time which I think an app program would do (maybe it has a random selection of a few numbers to call?) Anyway, I haven't installed any new apps but have kept existing apps updated so maybe whatever it is came with an updated. I'll have to monitor and see how it goes.
    Thanks again.

Brian706 likes this.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I wonder if it is actually making phone calls or if it is using a weird icon to signify a blocked call. Can you verify on your bill if an actual outgoing call is being made?

ocnbrze, Brian706 and Dannydet like this.
  5. lekes725

lekes725 Lurker

I can't seem to verify if the calls are actually being made with AT&T's online site...it just shows my bill.
    I've attached an image made from some screen clips to show what I see on my phone. The arrow pointing to the number away from the phone indicates an outgoing call.
    I just tried calling one of the numbers and I get a recording..."Call cannot be completed as dialed"

Attached Files:

6. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

These look like spam numbers, and spammers are doing things that you can't imagine these days.
    Install a good 3rd party call blocker, such as Youmail, in the play store.
    I've used it for years and never an issue with any type of call.
    The free version works great as is, BTW....

7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

The icon is different than the outgoing calls. Instead of a phone receiver it looks like an SMS icon.

Brian706 and Dannydet like this.
  8. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Dannydet likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S7 release date was March 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 8890 Octa processor, and 3000mAh battery.

March 2016
Release Date
Reviews