1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Phone shows Telus but no bars

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by bdude273, Jan 7, 2014.

1. bdude273

bdude273 Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2014
    I bought a Goophone i5c which runs on WCDMA 850/2100 MHZ and my Telus sim should be on WCDMA 850/1900 (I've previously had a phone that had the same frequency as the Goophone and it did work on Telus). The strange thing though is that my Goophone SAYS Telus in the corner which tells me it is in fact contacting the cell tower, but the thing is I'm on Koodo, so it should say Koodo not Telus(I know Telus and Koodo are the same). I know from experience that it does change from Telus to Koodo. I changed the network from GSM & WCDMA and WCDMA only and airplane mode and nothing seems to be fixing it. The phone is running Android 4.2. Does anyone know how to fix this? I could always just switch providers. You don't need to be simple in your answer, I'm quite good with technical stuff, but please don't use programmer words lol. The phone is not rooted by the way, but rooting won't be a problem.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    This seems to be a "I don't like the word it's displaying" kind of thing. The question is, "is the phone working"? If it is, why do you care which part of the tower identification the phone chooses to display?

3. bdude273

bdude273 Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2014
    Hi,

It does work but it can't recieve or send calls or texts.

4. bdude273

bdude273 Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2014
    My bad, I don't know how I screwed up what I was trying to say so badly.

It says "Telus" in the corner but shows no bars and won't take or recieve calls or texts. The Koodo part was that it goes through two "stages": First shows Telus then changes to Koodo, but unfortunately the Goophone is stuck on the first stage and is showing no bars. I was fiddling around with the phone a little more and saw that in the APN's it said "Telus SP" and "Koodo SP" but when i click on the koodo one it does nothing. I don't have a data plan by the way so I don't know if the APN's are of any use to me.

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    You're in Canada? The Goophone is a cheap knock-off Apple iPhone from China. Given what it is, it's very likely it was never actually tested for compatibility with North American cellular bands and carriers.

Cellular bands in China are 900/1800 GSM/EDGE and 2100 WCDMA, which is probably all the Goophone was tested with. Not a lot you can do about it except try to get your money back from the seller.

LilBit and Thom like this.