• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Shutting off randomly?

Like I said it was purchased online not from ATT so exchanging it is not an option for many of us! I'm not posting for help but to help others who may be in the same situation.
Wrong. Exchange it. I bought mine online, exchanged it, no questions asked. Exchange it.

Oh, btw. Exchange it.

After you exchange it, exchange it. Then try exchanging it.

hth

Upvote 0
I've refrained from being preachy, but I just don't understand anyone putting up with a device that randomly shuts itself off. There are posts I've seen where this has been an ongoing problem for people. I suppose the following is worth repeating:

Users should exchange the phone after the first random shutdown.

If family members are counting on reaching you in an emergency, you are placing them at risk.

Don't settle. Don't wait. Own it. It's black and white.

Upvote 0
I suppose that I was lucky (or unlucky?) in that I've had my phone since September 2010 and only had this issue happen for the first time early this month (November 2011). So that's over a year with perfect service. No problems at all with my Captivate. At this point, however, it is turning itself off at least once a day and often two or three times. Always during the day, never overnight when it is plugged in to charge. It has become a huge inconvenience, as well as a difficulty for my family who are unable to reliably get in touch with me. Adding to the annoyance factor is that the darn thing takes FOREVER to turn back on. Not normally an issue, since I don't turn it off.

Of course, I am well out of the warranty period, having owned the phone for 14 months now. And it wasn't a cheap phone when I bought it, even as my allowed "upgrade" on the account, it still ran me $200 at the time. Would my best bet be to contact AT&T at this point, or Samsung directly? Or am I simply SOL since I've had the phone for over a year?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones