1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone shutting off

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Yorkiedavey, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Yorkiedavey

Yorkiedavey Lurker

I have a problem with the s7 edge shutting off randomly it feels rather hot and cpuz is showing Temps upto 50 degrees. Any ideas what could cause this the battery was playing up The other day could it be this? A software issue or is the motherboard done for?

If anybody can help it would be appreciated

2. Yorkiedavey

Yorkiedavey Lurker

Lol sorry I didn't want to ramble on and confuse people more. When I got the phone it wouldn't turn on so I fixed it with a fresh software install all went well phone has been working fine for 2/3 days. The problem arose yesterday it was low on battery about 5% I was replying to a message then was going to put it on charge in the time that I did that it died I put it on charge waited until 25% and then turned the phone back on. At this point it was getting quite hot it didn't feel right so I immediately held the power button and volume down which restarted the phone but same thing keeps happening it just shuts off the only way to get it back on is power button and volume down.. I have read around and tried a few things clearing cache, I factory reset the phone which when it was starting up it got really hot but now seems to be half okay it was sitting pretty cool at 34 degrees I installed a couple of games and ran them for a good 20 mins it got warm but not overly hot and didn't shut down ( this is after factory resetting) Now I'm stumped as to whether this is firmware or hardware. I'm not an expert with these things I can do basic repairs on a phone and software reset etc I like to learn what's wrong though or at least try and find out what's causing the problem . Obviously it worked for a few days before this started happening so I fear the same thing will happen and just trying to work out which part may need replacing or if it's just good for the bin

3. Yorkiedavey

Yorkiedavey Lurker

Wow seriously thank you so much for the quick responses and help. I will see how it gets on over the next few days i turned off the auto update on apps in case it was something from that as I didn't download any new apps yesterday so not sure what could of caused the problem.. If it occurs again I will replace the battery and see if it fixes the problem I might just get a new battery anyway as I intend on replacing the front glass too.. If the battery wasn't to make a difference I'm guessing this would be then a more serious issue like the motherboard? I did see that these have a cooling system that uses a tiny copper pipe could that be broken and not working? I did strip it down and have a look and as far as I can tell there is no damage inside it looks immaculate. I just don't want the thing to explode on me or anything the battery temp itself stays cool according to the app cpuz but the cpu area seems to heat up ill run another test when the phone is charged on a few games etc and see how it goes. Again thank you so much I have never used this community but I am impressed! If I can help other folk here I will for sure

4. Yorkiedavey

Yorkiedavey Lurker

Cheers buddy I hate just throwing things away or paying somebody else to fix it rather have a go myself and learn something in the process. I'm pretty comfortable with stripping this down now. That was my concern it was hearing up really quick but I guess the fact it isn't doing that now means it's working fine. I'll put it through some more testing this afternoon evening and see how it fairs. Battery will be next stop if that fails I'll be back. I will keep an eye here though as I might be able to help some people Im no expert but have picked up a few things thank you again always nice to get a second opinion

The warranty was already done as well so that's not a problem

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge release date was March 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 820 processor, and 3600mAh battery.

March 2016
Release Date
Reviews