1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone shutting off

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JessiArcher, Dec 4, 2019.

1. JessiArcher

JessiArcher Lurker

I am having a problem with my phone. It started about a week before Thanksgiving. I have an Android Moto Z2 Force.

The problem started with my phone turning off at random only when I was connected to WiFi or data and it was below 50% battery life. Then it started to shut off at any percentage and now it's shutting off even when I'm not connected to anything, WiFi or data and at any percentage. If it's below a certain percentage I have to plug it in to get it to turn back on. I've already done a factory reset, my storage space is only 33% used, and it shuts off even in safe mode. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be or what to do to fix this problem?

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

It could be a problem with the battery or a connection (i.e. hardware). If so repair or battery replacement will be the only answers.

MoodyBlues and Dannydet like this.
  3. JessiArcher

JessiArcher Lurker

Wouldn't that mean the phone gets hot, though? If it is a battery problem, is there any way to test that?

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

No, the phone would not necessarily get hot.

Heating occurs when you try to draw a lot of power from the battery, or when you are charging the battery. And overheating can cause a phone to shut down, but this can also happen if the voltage drops too low (either across a crucial component, causing a crash, or if the battery voltage drops to the point where the phone thinks it's empty, prompting a shutdown). So it's perfectly possible for a failing battery to cause shutdowns without heating preceding it.

And of course if there is a bad connection somewhere that can cause a shutdown with no warning whatsoever.

MoodyBlues and Dannydet like this.
  5. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

It also could be each time you take it out of the cover, the buttons tend to squeeze it down and make it automatically reset, like I always do to charge, without the rubber pad. 99.9999% of my city does not have magnets usually sticking out mostly. But it also depends on where you are at, do keep in mind in different areas.. Keep that in mind too.

Motorola Moto Z2 Force Forum

The Motorola Moto Z2 Force release date was August 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4/6GB RAM, Snapdragon 835 processor, and 2730mAh battery.

August 2017
Release Date
Reviews