• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone sometimes will not wake up..

YoungGun

Mar 29, 2012
Running Broken Out ROM and once in a blue moon my phone will not wake up. Pressing the power button again and again does nothing. Holding the power button done doesn't do anything too. I have to do a battery pull to get my phone to work again..
Something anyone else has had happen or just a random thing once in awhile?
:thinking:

I've had the same, but I do not think it started until I flashed Black Plague, question, is the screen backlight on? (go into a dark room if you are unsure). most of the time when it happens to me (been over a week since the last one, but not by much, maybe 9 days), the phone is actually powered off...

other times the backlight is on, and if I hold the power button a while it will shut off, then when I press the power button again it boots up, as if it shut down, but got stuck on powering the screen off.

I did do a few battery pulls before I got the power button method working. no idea what causes it, and often I could not even tell you when... I might not look at my phone for an hour or more, then all the sudden I notice I cannot turn the screen on....

Upvote 0
I am not running any ROM - stock V6 also does this from time to time - I'd guess about once every couple of days, mostly as I back out of programs - the screen just goes unresponsive and the capacitative buttons do not respond.
So a battery pull does the trick if the shut off button does not respond (which it mostly does).
I am thinking it has to do with too many programs installed / or just needs a reboot :) so it may not be a ROM issue after all.

Upvote 0
I have been slowly decreasing the number of apps I keep installed on my phone (down from 318 from 18 months ago to 78 and looking to remove a half dozen or so more, this includes all programs, not just apps I install, I take the count from either app organizer or titanium backup) so I am not so sure it is the total number of installed apps (I never had the issue until a couple of weeks ago). could be a restart issue, I only reboot when things stop working properly, unless a random reboot beats me to it! :) not that I still have a lot, but they do happen 1-2 times every 2 weeks now, unless I cause an overheating reboot...

but that is how mine happen, often when I back out of an app, or if I accidentally turn off the screen, then back on real quick (normally when I have been using it for a bit and it is kind of warm. It is not something I can force to happen though.

Upvote 0
figured out what was up with mine on the screen off issue... the backlight is still on, it is stuck powering off. it happens when I use Rom tool box to reboot into recovery.

Also happens when I use the power button menu to boot into recovery. Restarting the phone I cannot get into recovery. The only solution I have found is to send an "adb reboot recovery" command.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones