• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone spontaneously calling last # called

Tonight while listening to text-to-speech reading of a book on my phone, it spontaneously called the last # I called, earlier today. The phone's screen was locked when this happened and there was no voice command resembling "OK Google" or any voice command to make a call.

The same thing happened yesterday but fortunately that time the # called was a business and it was closed at the time.

I'm a little freaked out about this happening tonight, it took fumbling with the phone a bit to unlock it and hang up the call after 3 rings. It was locked and in a phone bag I was wearing when this call suddenly launched. I hope I didn't wake the person who was called, it will be quite hard to explain to her how this happened if I did disturb her.

I looked at all the settings of my phone app and can't see anything that would support spontaneous calling through touching or jiggling a locked phone or something like that. I saw someone's recent post elsewhere about a Samsung phone doing something similar to this and their advice to disable "direct dialling"--not a feature I can find on this Google Pixel 3a phone.

The app whose text-to-speech read aloud feature I was using when the calls launched is Moon+ Reader Pro. It's a fairly new-to-me app.

PS, I don't think it's involved, at all, but the audio I was hearing was streaming through my hearing aids, which is enabled by a bluetooth device called a phone clip.

PPS I just found and disabled a Google Assistant setting under Voice Match, Access your Assistant any time that you say "Hey Google" even if you screenis off. I'm hoping this will block what has been happening but as I never said Hey Google or Okay Google (and neither did the book I was listening to say anything like that) I don't think it was involved.

Last edited:
The issue may lie with your hearing aid/phone clip. There is a button short cut to double or triple click a hands free button to call back. I had a hands free set that kept doing this, it would call or pause my music/video.
With your setup I don't know if it's easy to change but see if you can change the connector from your hearing aids to the phone, cable or just clock whether it does it when they are not connected

Thanks

Reactions: e_canuck
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones