• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone started overheating, anyone else?

SamsungVibrant

Android Expert
Jul 23, 2010
Okay so my phone has started running hot. I'm not talking about when I'm charging it, I expect it to get warm while charging, I'm talking about just normal use.

It gets very warm, almost hot, back of the phone, above the battery, near the camera lens/sd card/sim card area.

Again the battery is cool to the touch if I remove the cover, but the area above the battery is getting really hot, and I noticed when my phone gets hot, the battery life starts to drain like crazy.

Anyone else?

I suspect that you have something that is drawing a LOT of power when this happens. That causes the battery to drain fast, and produces waste heat. Next time it happens, try turning some things off. I would start with GPS, then WiFi, etc. Once you find a service that is being used, you can look for apps that use it.

Good Luck

the only thing that is on is wifi,(gps bluetooth are both off).. and I was searching through aps in android market for a few mins when it started to get uncomfortably hot.

any other suggestions? can an app cause this?

Upvote 0
just slide your finger straight down to bring down the pull down menu. The temp is listed there along with phone condition.

are you talking about the slide down notification bar? Umm there is absolutely no temp nor any phone conditions listen when I slide this down.

this is my notification bar slid down, where is the temp suppose to be?

samsungvibrant-albums-notification-bar-picture1708-nonotification.jpg

Upvote 0
Running hot is normal for any computer when under load. Extensive use of gps/wifi/3g and/or graphics will heat the phone up. Same thing happens with other smart phones/laptops/pcs etc. I would say under "normal" situations you wouldn't have anything to worry about, but maybe a marathon run of some 3d game or such you might wanna think about taking a break and let the phone cool down. I've never heard of Android giving a temp warning like I've heard the iPhone does. If you have a case, you can take it off to let the phone cool down faster.

Upvote 0
SV, I've had this happen to me a few times so far especially if I am doing multiple things at a time. Does not happen often though but it does heat up and I can almost feel it holding it. But this is not unique to the Vibrant and I have seen my iPhone heat up like this on several occasions as well. I don't know if this is cause for serious concern though.

Upvote 0
There's a free app called Android System Info in the market that shows CPU usage by task. Try installing that and see if a particular task is a high CPU user. One day I discovered Google Earth was using 100% of my CPU. No idea why, and it hasn't happened again. It also allows you to either stop the task or switch to it. Very handy for monitoring CPU usage.

Upvote 0
There's a free app called Android System Info in the market that shows CPU usage by task. Try installing that and see if a particular task is a high CPU user. One day I discovered Google Earth was using 100% of my CPU. No idea why, and it hasn't happened again. It also allows you to either stop the task or switch to it. Very handy for monitoring CPU usage.

Good information wildblue, much more valuable than an "app killer"

Upvote 0
If you read my first post on this thread, this is normal. I've had this happen with using wifi alot, even 3g will do this. Basically the hardware that handles this heats up like any other electronic component when electricity is pumped through it. Though if it gets too hot, and I guess thats a subjective thing, you should call Tmobile. But I've never had a phone meltdown on me and I've never heard of any Android phones shutting down or displaying a message due to high temperature like the iphone does.

Upvote 0
If you read my first post on this thread, this is normal. I've had this happen with using wifi alot, even 3g will do this. Basically the hardware that handles this heats up like any other electronic component when electricity is pumped through it. Though if it gets too hot, and I guess thats a subjective thing, you should call Tmobile. But I've never had a phone meltdown on me and I've never heard of any Android phones shutting down or displaying a message due to high temperature like the iphone does.
iagree.gif

I have had this even with my old Samsung SGH-T809 slider not-so-smart phone. When making several phone calls or on an extended call the phone would heat up. No big deal. It's completely normal. Until my phone starts smoking or becomes too hot to touch I'm not going to worry about it.

Upvote 0
This is normal and will not hurt the phone or you. The CPU/GPU is located at the top of the phone as well as the power inverter. The warming effect you are experiencing is due to a "run away" app that is doing something in the background and may even be waiting for input.

I have found that on both my old Nexus One and my Vibrant that GPS programs, such as google earth and maps, would cause the phone to heatup very quickly and even more so when plugged into a power source. Like I said this is mainly do to the power inverter and the CPU being in the same location and both being used at the same time.

Also remember that a standard Intel or AMD CPU running at 1Ghz required a heat sink to work. The chips in mobile devices are getting ever faster and are creating more and more heat, but a heat sink is not possible so the case and surrounding area is used to dissipate the heat. Again this is normal and will happen with any modern smartphone with high power CPU's and programs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones