1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Phone started shutting off..........battery?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Funderbolt, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Funderbolt

Funderbolt Well-Known Member

May 12, 2011
    Male
    engineer
    Va
    My phone started shutting off for no reason, and sometimes needs 2 or 3 restarts before it stays on. It will then run for a long time. It will actually shut off in the middle of a call, or sending a text. The battery appears to have sufficient charge, but suspiciously the battery meter reads differently when it starts up again. I'm beginning to suspect a bad battery, and that the phone cannot properly measure the remaining charge any longer. When I start the phone up again it does have enough charge to run the phone though, but just a different percentage charge remaining. I wonder if I replace the battery if this would fix the issue. This has been going on for about a week or so.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

2. Mayhem

Mayhem Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Male
    Senior Engineer - Software Quality Assurance
    Austin, Texas area
    My phone usually reports around a 10% drop in charge after rebooting. I think that's normal. My Droid 3 did the same thing.

3. Funderbolt

May 12, 2011
    Male
    engineer
    Va
    How much less, like 40%? Like half full to a red line? I'm trying to figure out what's shutting off my phone. I already uninstalled some apps that were install within the last month or so. That didn't seem to make a difference. Battery level is the only overt sign that something is off.

4. BoostDeuce

BoostDeuce Member

Dec 4, 2010
    my Tbolt has started randomly rebooting. Happens about once a day now. Yesterday it was at 83% battery and rebooted while i was reading usatoday. Then when it rebooted it was at like 30%, then i opened the battery settings screen and it rebooted again and had 17% battery left. Keep in mind, this is at 7:28AM. My phone went off the charger at 7:00AM.

It seems like it starts the day with poor battery life and then works it out and will last a while after being recharged.

Verizon is sending me a replacement phone. I guess the 7 dollar insurance i pay for gives me an extended warranty so i'm getting a new one for free. Upgrade eligible in 3 weeks so i'll hold out till then with a replacement

Funderbolt likes this.
  5. Funderbolt

May 12, 2011
    Male
    engineer
    Va
    Careful you don't lose your unlimited plan.

6. Ill_Clinton

Ill_Clinton New Member

Mar 26, 2013
    I've had the same thing happen to my TB. So far Verizon has sent me two replacement units and I get the same issue on both of them. Now they are going to send me an LG Lucid to use which I am none to pleased with. Oddly enough, most of the people on the forums experiencing these problems are still on unlimited plans....

7. kraftydevil

kraftydevil Member

May 2, 2011
    An update within the past 2 weeks has made my phone a battery draining machine (even worse than normal haha). No matter which battery is in the phone, it drains the battery even while plugged into the AC adapter!

I know it's not a defective battery because I have 3 of them and there's no way all of them are dying on me at the same time.

I'll try restoring to factory settings when I have the time to backup everything properly. The last time I restored, which was also the first time, I thought I saved my apps to the SD card but I wasn't able to recover them. So at that point I didn't even know which apps were missing. I guess if you don't remember which apps then maybe you didn't really need them eh?

8. Funderbolt

May 12, 2011
    Male
    engineer
    Va
    I replaced the battery for about $10, problems solved.