• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone staying awake...

JohnnyT

Mar 23, 2010
NJ
Ok, so I have had my S3 since it first hit Verizon and I must say that I love the phone. Like every other piece of electronic equipment, it has its pros and cons, but lately I have been having a problem with battery life. It's not horrible, but I know it could be better.

It is unrooted and running the latest 4.1.1 OS. I have tried battery pulls and restarts. I know that there is something that is keeping it awake, but I can't figure out what it is. Which is why I have attached the Better Battery Stats log. I'm hoping someone here can help me out. The main issue I'm running into is that the phone is not going into Deep Sleep long enough. Maybe I just don't understand. But I figure that once the screen goes off, it should basically be in Deep Sleep. It may come out here and there to check e-mail or update weather or something to that effect, but according to the attached report, my S3 is in Deep Sleep for 80% of the time, but awake the other 20%. In the awake time, the screen is only on 2%. So, while the screen is off, there is some app(s) that is keeping the phone awake the other 18% of the time. I know that having Google Location Services turns on accounts for about 6%, but I can't figure out what other apps account for the rest.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions you can provide.

Attachments

• BetterBatteryStats-2013-01-28_070041766.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 63
According to the stats, that is true. But in those 7 hours I used the phone for all of 12 minutes and it was no more than 20 feet away from the wireless router, so the signal remained very strong. I used to have a DInc 2 and after a night (6-7 hours) of being connected to wi-fi, and 0 minutes of screen on time, it would lose only 1% of its battery. This means that when I'm out and about with my S3 running on 3/4G, I lose about 4% battery every hour without use.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining, just thinking that there is a small deficiency to the phone which I'd like to correct.

Upvote 0
According to the stats, that is true. But in those 7 hours I used the phone for all of 12 minutes and it was no more than 20 feet away from the wireless router, so the signal remained very strong. I used to have a DInc 2 and after a night (6-7 hours) of being connected to wi-fi, and 0 minutes of screen on time, it would lose only 1% of its battery. This means that when I'm out and about with my S3 running on 3/4G, I lose about 4% battery every hour without use.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining, just thinking that there is a small deficiency to the phone which I'd like to correct.

Gotcha...I like to try to decipher this kinda thing as I run the same app on my phone to see what, if any, wakelocks I have. So, I'll peruse thru the log you provided during the course of the day.

Also, what John L. suggested, and I dont see it in the logs, is the processes that are running.

Upvote 0

This doesn't sound much different than my S3. Overnight if I have wifi on and after lets say 7 hours I can wake up and my battery will be at 97-98%. However, if I'm sleeping with wifi off and leave it off the charger, I have seen my battery drop all the way down to 85% overnight. Kind of sucks if you ask me. I'd hate to say anything good about apple devices but they are much better with standby battery. Someone I work with has the I5 and after standby one day here at work his phone was at 92% and I took a glance at my S3 after the same amount of time and my phone was already down in the 70% range. It sucks. Some of it had to do with cell reception too of course but still, Android standby just isn't what it should be. I've seen an old man I work with with an I4S and after like 8 hours of work he didn't use his phone and his battery was still at 95%. After 8 hours of not using my S3 it would most likely be down to about 80%. I don't know why Android doesn't have better standby battery life.

Upvote 0
I wasn't able to really see what was eating up the resources. I did download and install another app which I'm hoping will help. It's called GSam and has a tool within it that tells you which app is eating up the battery. I did take one step by disabling the Samsung utilities within Application Manager. I'll check back in to let all know if I can identify the culprit.

Upvote 0
Sorry my gf is talkin crap n cant get chance to read this properly but id check any apps youve gave admin permissions.
Also in data use, see if anythings usin a lot of data in background :thumbup:
Just my 2p :)

Oh yeah, in gsam settings, i have it set to reset after full charge. Does anyone think i should set it differently?

Upvote 0
Sorry my gf is talkin crap n cant get chance to read this properly but id check any apps youve gave admin permissions.
Also in data use, see if anythings usin a lot of data in background :thumbup:
Just my 2p :)

Oh yeah, in gsam settings, i have it set to reset after full charge. Does anyone think i should set it differently?
I would think that would be just fine:)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I never pinpointed the problem. I ended up rooting the phone. Same issue persisted, but after several reboots, the problem has gone away. It still stays awake, but nowhere near 30% of the time. It has cut way down to about 8%, which I find acceptable.

Sorry, I was hoping that I could help people out, but as always, failed.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I never pinpointed the problem. I ended up rooting the phone. Same issue persisted, but after several reboots, the problem has gone away. It still stays awake, but nowhere near 30% of the time. It has cut way down to about 8%, which I find acceptable.

Sorry, I was hoping that I could help people out, but as always, failed.

No such thing as failure....Just setbacks:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones