1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Phone stays offline & won't do email

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lyrasgrace, Feb 22, 2011.

1. lyrasgrace

lyrasgrace Lurker

Hi, my friends samsung intercept (vm) for the last couple of days always says its offline, and won't send or receive email (gmail). Sometimes txts won't go through either. What the heck? Shutting off the phone works temporarily but it still does it again...and again...is there something else to do to fix this?

Advertisement

2. bergfurgaler

bergfurgaler Newbie

This has started happening with more frequency to me as well. Usually restarting the phone fixes it but today I restarted it, loaded 1 web page and it lost the connection again. Didnt take it 30 seconds. Read somewhere that someone said resetting the phone fixes this. I will be trying this soon. Ill get back to you if it fixes the issue.

3. Clean out your phone, disable GPS and Location setting, free up some memory by disabling some advanced features like animations.
    Check to see if your phone is connected to wifi. If it is, your data could be trying to use wifi and is being blocked. If you are not using wifi, it could be a problem with your local cell towers.

People don't believe me when that their phones will use wifi for local and picture messaging, but it will. I have had text messages sit in my phone for days while connected to wifi, then I disable it and resend them and they go through in seconds.

4. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Well-Known Member

My phone did this for a while.
    Sometimes I could fix it by putting in airplane mode, then going back to normal made.
    Other times I had to reboot the phone.

Are you using a task manager?

I put several tasks on the ignore list of the task manager if I didn't know what exactly they did. So when I kill the tasks to save battery life, these tasks will NOT be killed.

Since doing this, coicidentally or not, I haven't lost my data connection for 3 days, knock on wood.

Here are the tasks I put on the ignore list:
    Calendar, Email, Gmail, Launcher Pro, Adao Task Manager, LogsProvider, SNS, TTS Service,

5. ClubSteeler

Nevermind. My phone is doing this again. Turn it on, internet works for a few minutes then it is gone. Any app that I run that used an internet connection says: "No Internet connection. Try again or quit."

I've tried turning on/off airplane mode.
    Tried turning on/off Wifi.

Nothing works. I have to turn the phone off, then back on again, and still it is just a matter of time before I lose internet connection again.

Very annoying.

6. Misterre

Misterre Newbie

I am having these problems too.
    Has anyone called VM?
    Are there any warranties on these phones?

7. ClubSteeler

This has been happening a lot less frequently lately. I only changed one thing. I use Adao Task manager, and I turned off the option that it kicks off and deletes tasks when the phone starts up.

I could be completely wrong, but I had a feeling that a task was being killed while the phone was establishing a link to the 3g internet connection.

Coincidence or not, I still occasionally so lose internet connection, but it has been happening much less frequently.

8. Jenny Z

Jenny Z Member

The customer service twitter account (@VMUCare) has been saying there was an outage, but said it should be resolved today... I dunno, mine's still screwed.

9. Method760

Method760 Well-Known Member

Same thing has been happening to me!! i was ready to throw this phone into a wall! But lets hope they have this fixed

10. need2burn

need2burn Newbie

ClubSteeler is right, the airplane mode trick works most of the time. You need to wait about 10-15 seconds before you turn airplane mode back off. It doesn't always work on the first try, but that's been the most effective way for me. Also faster reboot app will reset everything but the phone and essential services. It seems the adapter needs to be reset. And the warranty is through Samsung, not virgin mobile, which is one downside with pay as you go, the phone company isn't responsible. I think you'd still have the same problems if you got a new one anyway since even people with sprint are having these issues.

11. mpp

mpp Newbie

They seemed to have fixed this problem. Last day or so the connection has not gone down. Let's hope t stays that way.

12. StickySpray

StickySpray Newbie

Same here haven't had a problem in the past 5 days I would say.

13. Jenny Z

Jenny Z Member

Yeah, mine cleared itself up too. Yay!

14. mpp

mpp Newbie

This problem seems to back again for me. I recently updated to 2.2 (never got the push from VM but just used to update.zip). That worked fine but now my data connection drops a few times per day and I have to put it into airplane mode and back to get t restarted.

15. ClubSteeler

Unblievable. I haven't had this problem in over a month. I am still 2.1 though.

I know that most of you can't imagine this, but the more I read, the more I am NOT going to update yet. I am completely happy with the phone right now. I will wait about 6 months or so, let all the problems get ironed out, then maybe I will update.