• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Stops Charging When Connected to Car Charger?

So I use my GN everyday for my morning commute by using the Google Maps Navigate feature just so I can stay up to date on traffic

I connect it to my verizon wireless charger that I bought for my OG Droid last year which has worked great up until about a few weeks ago when I noticed that the back of the phone would feel really hot and the charging would stop and start randomly...so I figured there was a short in the charger even though the light never went out, I bought a cheap motorola car charger online to see if that fixed the problem and it's doing the same thing, the battery indicator will have the bolt indicating charging but awaking the screen or clicking on the battery option under settings indicates it's not charging, does anyone know why this is

this is on my extended battery as well, not sure if this would happen on the stock battery and has not happened at all when connected to my home phone charger

i have seen this before, most samsung phones (nearly all) require the samsung charger to be able to be fully charged, and continuously charging. my friend had an htc that just quit charging and she had to go buy another car charger because of it.

my sister has had nothing but samsung, and when she would use my moto charger it would either take forever to charge, or not at all. so take that into consideration.

Reactions: BigWormBigPerm
Upvote 0
i have seen this before, most samsung phones (nearly all) require the samsung charger to be able to be fully charged, and continuously charging. my friend had an htc that just quit charging and she had to go buy another car charger because of it.

my sister has had nothing but samsung, and when she would use my moto charger it would either take forever to charge, or not at all. so take that into consideration.

amazon sells the Samsung brand chargers both for the house and car pretty cheap.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out a Samsung car charger, I just thought it was weird since the verizon car charger has been working perfect up until last month and my office charger is actually my OG charger which works fine as well, I wasn't sure if it was from running an app like Navigator and charging that made it overheat and stop charging

Upvote 0
The GN wall charger puts out 1 A. USB usually only puts out 500 mA. Your car charger probably only puts out 500 mA as well and with GPS and screen on it is probably not sufficient to actually charge the battery simultaneously. You'll need to buy a car charger that puts out 1 amp.

but would that make it stop charging? It's not charging at all, it's not that it's charging very slowly or losing power as it charges, it will just cut in and out of charging the phone itself and the phone feels hot so I wasn't sure if it was overheating and that was the problem

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones