• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Storage Limitations

pkincy

Jun 30, 2010
Can't believe search doesn't bring up some storage threads.

How come the phone storage gets used up with the SD car nearly empty.

How do we force the 3G Slide to use the SD card rather than its own very limited storage.

I have essentially no apps on the phone since the storage is so limited.

Perry

Can't believe search doesn't bring up some storage threads.

How come the phone storage gets used up with the SD car nearly empty.

How do we force the 3G Slide to use the SD card rather than its own very limited storage.

I have essentially no apps on the phone since the storage is so limited.

Perry

Phone storage has been discussed in other threads. http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-m...uve-noticed-since-2-2-update.html#post2562309

Basically, you'll have to deal with having fewer apps on your phone.

Try backing up ones you don't use that often with ASTRO file manager. When you need them again, just use the backup tool to restore the apps to your phone. I had no idea that ASTRO could do that until I randomly came across it one day. In ASTRO press the menu button and there is an item that says 'Tools'. One of the tools is 'Application Manager/Backup'. With that you can back up the app to your SD card, then you can go and delete it from your phone's memory and then go back to this tool to install it later. I'm not sure if this saves app data or not, but its worth a try.

Or, if you want to be able to have a lot more room on your phone without having to worry about phone space, root the phone and then you would be able to delete bloatware that comes with the phone or install a custom ROM that uses less space.

Upvote 0
Actually it appears easier to simply buy a new phone with a proper OS design.

Any suggestions?

This kids toy simply doesn't work for a grown up.

What did these used to be called? Sidekick, I think and all the teeny boppers had them.

That is about all that can use them now.

Perry

Upvote 0

Any suggestions?

What did these used to be called? Sidekick, I think and all the teeny boppers had them.

Perry

Often there are good reasons for not putting an app on the SD card. For example, anything you expect to still function when you have the phone plugged in to a PC with the card mounted as a drive... If we could move every app to the card we'd have endless threads about "my <whatever> app refuses to work when plugged in!"

I'm not sure how Windows phones work, but between how iPhones and Androids work with storage, I'll take an Android any day.

With Android, you have - depending on model - relatively limited internal storage, and easily expandable external storage via micro SD card. Many apps can be moved to this card. Quite frankly, for a "grown up", there is more than enough internal storage for apps. You only start running out of room when you 1) fail to learn how to move apps to the SD card when they can be or 2) you're installing quite a few large apps that cannot be moved. Typically the biggest apps are the games, which don't exactly fit into the "grown up" category.

With the iPhone, you have the internal memory you bought the phone with, end of story. If you need to carry lots of files with you and are out of room, you're out of luck; there is no option to buy a larger SD card.

In any case, you're complaining about the OS when you bought what was a mid-line model phone at best when it was introduced. Blaming the OS is like blaming the concept of the internal combustion engine because the Fiesta you bought only has 120 horsepower.

Upvote 0

Any suggestions?

Perry

butt hurt much? There's a new sidekick that just came out, the Sidekick 4G, this is a MyTouch phone, the slide. You can be a big boy and root like the grown ups, and be able to upload a custom rom such as Cyanogenmod and be able to move many more apps to the SD card (I've had up to 80 apps installed at once). Even now I've deleted some of the apps I never use, and left with 50 or so apps, and I have 75mb of phone memory free..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones